Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Factory spare steels as wheels?

Factory spare steels as wheels?

Does anyone have any pictures or comments regarding using the factory 16" spare steelies as regular wheels?

I getting sick of the Tri-clops wheels and I'm too cheap for new alloys or steel wheels.

Here's a few images from the interwebs, several are of Crolison's rig.

Last four are FJ 17"s?

Rock ring

Last one is of an Xterra, but I'd love to duplicate the hubcap treatment.

Anyways, what do you guys think? Should I go out and collect 3 more OE steelies? Is the steel any weaker or thinner gauge than an aftermarket one? Any downsides aside from weight?
    1997 4Runner

Re: Factory spare steels as wheels?

id do it if you can get them cheap. if you have to invest money you might as well buy exactly what you want. i wheel stock alloys since they are strong, light and cheap to replace

if you can get them cheap enough (shouldnt have too much of a problem collecting one at a time) then do it. they are plenty strong and should serve you well.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

x3 - I was looking into (and actually found) a set of "take-off" stock steelies, but ditched the idea due to tire cost (15's are so much less expensive). Keep an eye on Craigslist or call around some of the local wheel and tire shops to see if anyone has abandoned their steelies after upgrading to alloys.
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    x3 - ... or call around some of the local wheel and tire shops to see if anyone has abandoned their steelies after upgrading to alloys.
    I actually found a nice set of factory alloys this way. A lot of people tend to abandon their stock wheels for designer rims.
    2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4-Dub<br />TRD supercharger,&nbsp; Toytec Coilovers, OME 890&#39;s, 285 Duratracs

Navigator

i was just at a local shop looking for tires for Bekah's car, and they had a set of taco rims sitting in the yard.. looked pretty scraped up, but they were there.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

It's been kind of a challenge collecting these. So far only found 2
    1997 4Runner

It's been ridiculous finding a full set of these. Tundras and Tacomas have 16 punched holes and only the 4Runner has 18. But then you have 4Runners that use the 15" spare and I've dropped some spares that were actually the triclops alloys.

But I finally got four of them. I'll probably paint them and switch to open ended lugs sometime when the weather gets nicer. Hopefully some more aggressive tires will look great on them. I picked up a set of spacers and can't wait to throw them on.

1997 4Runner

1997 4Runner

Cool.. looks good! Are the steelies the same offset as the alloys?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast