Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brainstorming on my engine and transmission options

Re: Brainstorming on my engine and transmission options

whats the cost in just dropping in another 3.4 and a340f and driving for another 200k miles? thats my plan when the time comes. both tranny and engine are in overtime for me

see i think my engine is pretty good (although the timing belt, etc will be done in a couple of years, it was done at 136k and it needs some top end maintenance and probably have the valves adjusted and injectors cleaned), maybe some seals replaced.

i have abused my transmission since i bought it. lots of left foot braking to bring up the RPM's so i dont roll backwards offroad. its towed a trailer a bunch in the last year, pulled alot of people out of ditches, etc. the 4.10 gears have put a big load on it the last 4 years. so im looking at regearing soon, but i just have that feeling that the trans has its days numbered. nothing specific, no slipping on the road and whatnot, but it felt and smelled funny at pismo. for example, when digging myself in at pismo, it wouldnt dig in 4hi, only 4 lo, it felt like it was slipping at a RPM that it should have been spinning the tires.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Sean, as much as I respect your urge to get some more power, I feel like unless the engine is having some serious problems your best bet at this point is to go ahead and prep to swap in a tranny identical to what you have now. For my money, I would buy a used tranny now, with as low mileage as you can get for reasonable budget concerns, then rebuild what you can yourself, and send the valve body off to IPT, then when it comes back swap it into the truck, and pull yours, either scrap it or sell it as is, or go ahead and do any service work that you can do (in theory the same things you did to the donor tranny minus the valve body) and sell it for more money as it will be a "good working tranny". Personally if it were me, I'd get the donor fix it up, swap it in, and scrap or sell as is. just for the hassle factor.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

how about something along these lines?
    (from the guy at SupraCharged.com)

Supercharged 1uzfe v8 Toyota 4runner
    thread from that other site
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

At only 173k your engine should have a lot of life left, which means a new or rebuilt transmission would be the most cost effective solution.

You can forget about a diesel in your 4Runner in California.
    The 1UZ would be an option though since they made it through the 2000 model year and your truck is older than that. As long as you keep all the smog parts intact you can get it refereed and completely smog legal. If the 1UZ will fit in a second gen it will definitely fit in a 3rd gen. Keep in mind the 3rd gen engine bay is something like 2-3" taller than a 2nd gen, hence the reason the 2nd gen guys have to cut their hoods to get the 3.4 to fit. That would be an amazing engine swap, but you would be out considerably more money than just a trans swap.

well after putting my trans through the paces climbing up and down big bear, i think it is fine. no weird smells, no slips or weird shifts, etc.

im going to drop the pan next week and replace the fluid and filter, the dipstick smells like slightly toasted ATF.

im still itching for more power though. i think a re-gear will help, but eventually i want something with more power. who knows, by then i might be living outside of cali.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

for what its worth mine will not work very well in 4hi either. my atf smells the same

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162
    for what its worth mine will not work very well in 4hi either. my atf smells the same
    that makes me feel a bit better.

i didnt have the truck in 4hi today, just 4lo. alexus and i ran jacoby canyon (forgot the camera) today in 4lo to keep my foot off the brake. i need to mod my front diff so i can have 2lo... haha.

In case you have not read this one yet... The body lift for the trans tunnel kinda kills it as an option, but man does that v8 look nice in there.

1uz in a 3rd gen.
    http://fourwheelperformance.com/foru...7a5c4694&t=856
    Diamond HP8 SAS / FROR Full Float Rear / DIY F&R bumper / Nitto 285s / Gen1 SC (in progress)

Navigator

im seriously starting to consider the 1uz... Especially since Cebby found a possible way to fit it in a 2nd gen with no body lift
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast