Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: overland warehouse twin cylinder pump tear down

overland warehouse twin cylinder pump tear down

http://stores.overlandwarehouse.com/...sor/Detail.bok

i got this pump after seeing it at pismo about a year ago. its been very nice and used alot. its really a shade faster then a mv-50 or tsunami 1050 (little red pumps) but its also smaller. well i ended up doing 2.25 trucks in a row last night so i figured it was time to take it apart and fix anything overly chineased inside.

quality:
    -fake cylinder fins
    -crud in the bottom end
    -no need for the air holes on the back side of the switch
    -cylinder head screws loose

design:
    -large bore for the short stroke
    -very large intake and exhaust for the cylinder size.
    -one valve on the piston and one in the head

i ended up stripping it down after finding out the fins were doing nothing. i can imagine this will mean better cooling but also exposure to the extremely hot surfaces. the significant thing i found other then the efficient design is that this thing is tiny after you strip all the fake junk off it. its a good candidate for installing behind a interior panel.
    heres a video of it stripped down
    VID00004

Re: overland warehouse twin cylinder pump tear down

the fins are removing a small portion of the heat from the cylinder where they touch it on the flat sides of the fin box.

putting some thermal paste will help, but better yet, get some thermal epoxy and glue pieces of a larger heatsink directly to the cylinder. this will really work well to remove the heat from the cylinder, and increase its duty cycle.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    the fins are removing a small portion of the heat from the cylinder where they touch it on the flat sides of the fin box.

putting some thermal paste will help, but better yet, get some thermal epoxy and glue pieces of a larger heatsink directly to the cylinder. this will really work well to remove the heat from the cylinder, and increase its duty cycle.
    x2. This is a great idea. Having worked with electronics and so many other things over the years, heat is ALWAYS the enemy. Whether its a little or a lot, and whether you're cooling solutions are SUPER efficient, or barely working at all, every little bit you can do helps!
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

the part you guys are talking about fits loose. only two of those tabs will sorta contact the cylinder at a time. true some thermal paste could bridge the gap and make 4 sorta contact it but i believe the efficiency of those solutions to be low enough that just exposing the cylinder to air will be an improvement.

round heat sinks would be ideal but hard to source in the correct curve. rough flutting the cylinder is another option but time consuming. i think this pump may soon find its way into the rear interior panels and then a 12v computer fan will be used for active cooling.

fill in the gap between cylinder and fins with JB Weld
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

i have a MV-50 that i modded and now it wont pump (havent looked into why yet) but im pretty sure im going to mount it permanently in the truck eventually. although i think ill have to give this one a look too.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

sean the mv-90 and mv-89 are out there too. this one is best for its size but if your looking for new they have some fast ones these days.

jb weld would be alright for thermal transpher, but its still such a low contact point on the cylinder. the mv-50 is the same but the stroke is so much longer that it has some contact area. this ones tiny

yeah, goal is to keep the price down. id love to plop 500 bucks on a really nice extremeaire compressor, but thats just not practical...

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    yeah, goal is to keep the price down. id love to plop 500 bucks on a really nice extremeaire compressor, but thats just not practical...
    One word: York. Cheaper than $500 and much more efficient than any 12v pump.

the mv-89 is $104 and the mv-90 is $145. both are too large to hide behind panels but also very fast. york is a sweet option but also twice what a mv-50 class pump is at.

i wouldnt buy a name brand electric pump after the mv-90 came out. price/performance ratio is too high to ignore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast