Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skid plate dent removal AND would like input on my lower ball joint.

Skid plate dent removal AND would like input on my lower ball joint.

After this summer's offroading trips my gas tank skid plate wasn't quite as flat as it used to be so I dropped it down to try to remove the dents.

TIP #1: There are three bolts at the front of the gas tank, the middle one holds the tank up and the two outer ones are for the skidplate. Don't be an idiot like me and remove all three because you were too lazy to grab a flashlight so that you can see what you are dealing with.

TIP #2: A full tank of gas is pretty heavy and really difficult to bolt back into place when you remove the middle bolt (see tip #1). Throwing the only jack you could reach under the skid temporarily works and is a great way to make the dents in the skid even worse. Using a piece of wood to distribute the load is much better, so remember to keep a piece of wood handy whenever removing your gas tank skid, or even better just keep tip #1 in mind.

So, on to the pictures. First off, my passenger side lower ball joint is leaking some grease. I jacked up the wheel and there is no play when shaking at the 12 and 6 positions. Is this something I should worry about, or likely just because I flexed out the front suspension on the trail recently? Truck has ~95k miles on it.

After this summer my gas tank skid had a good sized dent in the middle.

And my gas tank has a somewhat smaller (~1/2") dent as well.

To flatten out the skid I used a small floor jack and the weight of the truck. As the jack lifts it rolls forward and after 4 or 5 strategically aimed lifts the dent was mostly gone.

Here's the dent afterwards. It's now shallow enough to not hit the nicely clearanced gas tank.

I've had some issues with the balancing weight on the driveshaft hitting the skid and bending a lip into it so I also fixed that while the skid was off the truck.

Recently I've noticed a squeaking noise over bumps that I've been trying to fix. While under the truck I found a loose bolt on the front skid, and I noticed that the bracket for a rear control arm was bent.

Unfortunately neither of those turned out to be the cause of the squeak and the hut continues

- Matt

2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO

Navigator

Re: Skid plate dent removal AND would like input on my lower ball joint.

that rear LCA mount looks bad... you should definitely straighten that out..
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

i think that angle is normal its just the overhang below the joint thats bent upward. thats ok and better then most people mounts

Navigator

oh really? i didnt realize it had that weird S-bend in it... im used to my 2nd gen mounts that are just straight :-P
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Are you going to reinforce the skid?
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

The LCA bracket does have a slight bend in it in it's unmolested state. Mine wasn't as bad bad as yours but I made my little skids for them before they got worse.

Your lower ball joint looks similar to mine. After Pardoes my upper ball joints had spit up a little grease. I wiped them clean and they seem to be doing well.

Those pics look familiar...

My balljoints look a little furry at times too. I'm not sure how to diagnose ball joints other than to replace them when they clunk.

It sounds like the consensus is if the joint isn't loose then the grease leaking is ok. Great. Now I just need to track down this darn squeak when I go over bumps.

Steve, I'm thinking of reinforcing the skid but haven't come up with a solution I like yet. Some people have welded 3/16" plate or angle bar to the skid but I'm not 100% sold on either of those ideas. The problem is that it's a large and unsupported flat area that is subjected to loads in the vertical plane, so if I just weld on a plate it would have to be pretty think to resist deformation. Ideally I'd like to add support down the sides and then have cross members to take up the load, but of course I don't want to loose ground clearance. Still thinking about designs.

Oh, and and I forgot to post the "after" picture of the control arm bracket. I had to unbolt the arm at both ends to remove it so I could straighten things out, but it's all fixed now.

- Matt
    2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO

Both Ken and I were having noises and we thought it was coming from the front. On both of ours it ended up being the driver side nut and bolt on the panhard bar. He has the SS adjustable one and mine is stock. I basically took it out, greased it up and put my impact gun on it.

when i undented my skid, i just took a 5 pound hammer to it while it was sitting in the grass. now it hangs about 1" lower than it used to but at least its not touching the tank anymore! undenting the tank was another matter...
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast