Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Rocko's Random Gun Talk Thread.

My work, like every other workplace, has a "no weapons" policy (that specifically mentions switch blade knives, which has me a bit worried...). We essentially manufacture 1/4 of the stuff used in old cartoons to inflict pain (but never kill): Safes. Everyone carries box cutters, pocket knives, 4000 pound safes on forklifts. If it was someone's desire to hurt or kill, it would be very easy.

I still plan on purchasing a 9mm handgun when I have the money. I will have to see what is on the "allowed" list in Cali when I do so.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleWagonActual View Post
    I'm right there with you Rocko on the Ar pistols. I'm not a fan of them.

Slo have you guys seen Sig's new arm brace for AR pistols? It's designed to put your arm through as a brace to steady your aim. However it looks like a but stock and although not it's legal "designed purpose" could be used as one. There's an ATF letter stating that they are legal when used in its intended form. But if SHTF and things get ugly who's going to stop you from using it as a butt stock.
    From what I have heard, the ATF letter doesn't denote in what use it is legal, the product is legal, use it anyway you wish, as a stock or otherwise. I am off to dig up some sources to back this up, so don't use me as a legal defense.

(I am adding this because it says my messages is to short and has to add another 5 characters.... never gotten this before, and have posted LOTS of things much shorter than this....)
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco View Post
    From what I have heard, the ATF letter doesn't denote in what use it is legal, the product is legal, use it anyway you wish, as a stock or otherwise. I am off to dig up some sources to back this up, so don't use me as a legal defense.
    ATF Letter Dated 5 Mar 2014.
    It outlines specific reasons why “[the ATF] have determined that firing a pistol from the shoulder would not cause the pistol to be reclassified as an SBR”.

Quote Originally Posted by ATF
    Dear Sgt. Bradley:

This is in response to your communication dated January 24, 2014, to the Bureau of Alcohol, tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). Your e-mail was forwarded to the ATF Firearms technology Branch (FTB), Martinsburg, West Virginia, for reply. In your note, you ask about firing an AR-15 type pistol from the shoulder; specifically, if doing so would cause the pistol to be reclassified as a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR).

For the following reasons, we have determined that firing a pistol from the shoulder would not cause the pistol to be reclassified as an SBR:

FTB classifies weapons based on their physical design characteristics. While the usage/functionality of the weapon does influence the intended design, it is not the sole criteria for determining the classification of a weapon. Generally speaking, we do not classify weapons based on how an individual uses a weapon.

FTB has previously determined (see FTB #99146) that the firing of a weapon from a particular position, such as placing the receiver extention of an AR-15 type pistol on the user’s shoulder, does not change the classification of a weapon. Further, certain firearm accessories such as the SIG stability brace have not been classified by the FTB as shoulder stocks and, therefore, using the brace improperly does not constitute a design change. Using an accessory improperly would not change the classification of a weapon under Federal law. However, the FTB cannot recommend using a weapon (or weapon accessory) in a manner not intended by the manufacturer.

We thank you for your inquiry and trust the foregoing has been responsive.
    Last edited by 04 Rocko Taco; 05-27-2014 at 12:42 AM.
    -Chris
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.

Got bored yesterday while tending to a sick Mrs Rocko around the house, and saw Wilson Combat had thier 47T Mags on sale for the 1911 (10 rounders) so I picked one up, also went ahead and ordered a new stainless beveled edged hammer spur and an extra power firing pin return spring.

Got the Hammer Spur because my facory RIA spur has a nasty burr on the end, and I'm lazy, so swapping it is easier than file work on the existing one.
    Got the extra power return spring because it helps negate the risk of an accidental discharge from dropping the pistol or banging it into something. (not that I do either with my pistol, but as long as it doesn't compromise reliable primer ignition, I figured why not? )
    Got the Mag because.... well, why not?
    -Chris

Hopefully I will finish this project next week. All my end mill bits show up next week. Will start fitting and filing what I can in the meantime.
    My signature

Files and the two reamers I needed showed up today. While I recover from surgery this week, I will start fitting what I can.

This is what I will be doing, although I will be using a milling machine instead of a drill press for most of it. http://www.somuchtodo.com/tactical-m...build-project/
    My signature

Looks like a fun project. Who's the kit from?

Tacticalmachining.com 80% frame and jig. The rest is from e-sarcoinc.com http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/451911auto...lessframe.aspx and some magpul grips. I figured I would get it built with this and then start swapping out parts as I see fit.
    My signature

Planning my own version of the Marine's M45A1. May even try my hand at customizing the cheap slide I have (take advantage of having access to some cool tools). It will also be my first try at cerakote or something similar. Will also probably coat my AR at the same time.

My signature

Drilled it, cut the rails, and milled the barrel seat today. Slide goes on smoothly and ready to get some lapping compound. Started fitting other parts as well, lots of filing and fitting.

My signature

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast