Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Rocko's Random Gun Talk Thread.

I love Rock Islands. For the price they can't be beat. I know Les Baer, Kimber, Wilson Combat, and all they other top-shelf 1911's are amazing, but I've always felt rather unnecessary. The 1911 is such a simple, rugged, and proven design that I feel there's no need to drop the kind of money that the others require to purchase. I like how you started with a plain RIA and are slowly building it to your liking. It will always be suited to your needs/wants while being something you can take pride in at the fraction of the cost.

Many of the people I compete against in NRA/CMP Pistol competitions sport a custom pistol started off of an RIA frame, they are really made to some pretty tight tolerances. Besides what not to love about being able to buy 5 or even 10 RIA's for the price of 1 Wilson Combat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current: 97 4runner Sr5, 5spd, 4wd... Awaiting wife's approval to start wrenching

Past: 88 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360, 4wd R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleWagonActual View Post
    I love Rock Islands. For the price they can't be beat. I know Les Baer, Kimber, Wilson Combat, and all they other top-shelf 1911's are amazing, but I've always felt rather unnecessary. The 1911 is such a simple, rugged, and proven design that I feel there's no need to drop the kind of money that the others require to purchase. I like how you started with a plain RIA and are slowly building it to your liking. It will always be suited to your needs/wants while being something you can take pride in at the fraction of the cost.

Many of the people I compete against in NRA/CMP Pistol competitions sport a custom pistol started off of an RIA frame, they are really made to some pretty tight tolerances. Besides what not to love about being able to buy 5 or even 10 RIA's for the price of 1 Wilson Combat?
    I could not agree more, on all counts.
    I always figure almost any argument someone gives for a custom, or premium high end 1911 can be totally negated by pointing out that I can buy X number of RIA 1911's for the same money.
    Surely they wouldn't continue to imply that all 10 of my hypothetical RIA 1911's will fail before their 1 Wilson custom will.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Nice! I want to get a 1911 one day. My buddy has a Ruger 1911 that it is fun to shoot. Shoot it better than my Glock 19 as a matter of fact.

I got this recently:

Maybe I'm just cursed but I had a guy shooting next me break into tears when his Les Baer had a catastrophic failure and ruptured the barrel. I have yet to have that happen with any RIA.

Also, a built Rock Island I had from a Marine Corps Shooting Team precisions weapons tech (although admittedly about 50% no longer RIA in parts) was holding .5" at 50yds shooting a .45" diameter round. (Disclaimer: I was not the one shooting it for those groups, I'm good but not that good, LOL) When it was said and done the total cost was about $850 and a 12pack of Yuengling. Still far under the price of a Kimber or Wilson of equal accuracy.

Current: 97 4runner Sr5, 5spd, 4wd... Awaiting wife's approval to start wrenching

Quote Originally Posted by fenrisx View Post
    Nice! I want to get a 1911 one day. My buddy has a Ruger 1911 that it is fun to shoot. Shoot it better than my Glock 19 as a matter of fact.

I got this recently:
    Well, if the previous couple of posts werent endorsement enough, Obviously Cody, I cant say enough about Rock Island 1911's.

How you looking the new Mini-14?
    -Chris
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.

I went shooting 3 weeks ago only to find out I cant shoot anymore after 6 years off. haha I suck now and it was a hard pill to swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleWagonActual View Post
    Maybe I'm just cursed but I had a guy shooting next me break into tears when his Les Baer had a catastrophic failure and ruptured the barrel. I have yet to have that happen with any RIA.
    To be fair, most kabooms are caused from bad reloads, not the gun. Most likely a double charge or a shot fired after a squib.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco View Post
    Anyway, here is how it looks now. With the factory parts removed also in the picture.
    Attachment 165
    Nice! I like it! I am hoping to get a 1911 this year. I am probably going to go the 80% route though. Waiting for the company to get their ATF letter, so they will start selling these.
    http://www.tacticalmachining.com/tm-...rcent-new.html
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4 View Post
    To be fair, most kabooms are caused from bad reloads, not the gun. Most likely a double charge or a shot fired after a squib.
    Oh, I know in this case i believe it was after a squib mid string while he was trying to unload as fast as possible. As long as you're not shooting a damaged pistol or bad ammo just about any maintained 1911 is going to function fine for many years. I like my guns to be used and if I ever bought a handgun that cost even 1/2 my monthly salary I don't think I'd use it as often.

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer View Post
    Nice! I like it! I am hoping to get a 1911 this year. I am probably going to go the 80% route though. Waiting for the company to get their ATF letter, so they will start selling these.
    http://www.tacticalmachining.com/tm-...rcent-new.html
    I would love to build an 80% 1911, just for the fun of it.
    I dont know anyone with a mill and skills though, certainly not me. Haha.
    -Chris

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast