Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Rocko's Random Gun Talk Thread.

Wow, that's a tight fitting slide right there. All my handguns are plastic and none are that tight looking.

Just curious, how much was a box of PDX1 on sale? Is it +P?

I'm in the market for updating my HydraShock but might be looking to mix up the contents of my mags with a combination of brands but want to stick to standard loads.

I think it was $27.99 a box originally, so it ended up being $20.99 a box of 20. It is not +P, I think just the .38 special and 9mm Luger rounds are +P for the PDX1
    http://www.winchester.com/Products/h...s/default.aspx

Stupidly, I only fired those at steel at about 15 yds, so I have no idea how accurate they were compared to the others I shot. I am assuming that they are good though, at least in personal defense space.
    My signature

Thanks for the link, I hadn't checked their site. I was getting them confused with some others I was looking at. Like the Barnes: http://www.barnesbullets.com/product...pd-ammunition/

Their 45 is +P with an 185 gram bullet.

If you only shot them at steel and you heard them ring you're doing your job. If they are standard load and bullet weight they shouldn't be too off at that range. I don't have a 15 yard shot within my house and I have no business risking that in public so I practice at closer range. Locally at a range that's indoor and at paper so I use white box FMJ.

Well I wasn't hitting steel very well lol! Makes sense if my sights are that far off. Haha

Check out this Barnes page. It lists other companies that use their rounds. Some of them use that 185 copper round and don't list it as +P http://www.barnesbullets.com/product...ed-ammunition/

I need to get a box or two. I might want to be able to carry my pistol while hunting, and I will need lead free rounds for the condor zone
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer View Post
    Thanks Steve. Honestly just stoked that it ran well. Now I can work on the trigger and my technique to get more accurate.

Chris, check out this new jig specifically for doing this with a drill press. Also comes with the bits and everything.
    http://www.matrixprecisionparts.com/...2f006003278ac8
    Thanks for the link!!
    Now to make sure everyone knows whats on my Christmas Wish List.

As far as round selection, my two cents, which you didn't ask for, so my free advice is probably worth what you paid for it - I shoot 230 grain Speer Gold Dot JHP for SD ammo in the winter. I shoot 185gr Federal HydraShoks in the summer.

Reason is, the more ballistics reading I do, the 230 gr (not +P) are moving slow enough that they don't always reliably expand, and will act more like an FMJ sometimes. Regardless, even a .45 FMJ is going to do some damage. I prefer the 185's because they are moving a bit quicker and will expand more reliably. Only problem there is that (in TN - likely not the case in CA) in the winter, a 185 may be apt to begin expansion prematurely after hitting a heavy coat, or multiple layers of clothing.

As I said though, with the climate differences from TN to CA, you likely wont have the same issues.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Chris, didn't think about the fact that there could be less layers of clothing. I know the vids I watched all used 2-4 layers of denim in front of the ballistic gel, maybe I can find one with less material in front of the gel. The one I saw had the 230 PDX1 with the Hornady critical defense 185, they both did good. I think my next test of HD ammo will be of something in the 185 category. Is there a difference in felt recoil between 185gr +P and 230gr or are they about the same since the lighter round is +P?
    My signature

I cant really tell a difference in my hand, but others may disagree.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Rocko those jigs are in stock now! $200 is a deal inmhop http://www.matrixprecisionparts.com/...32361f28af486a
    My signature

I am in the process of hooking up April's pistol. Pretty much ready to start fitting parts, but I decided to really hook hers up. I ordered a bunch of wilson combat parts for it, so I am waiting for them to arrive. Her Vz grips did show up though! Here's a pic of them just setting on top of mine.

I am completely jealous of her vz grips! The magpul ones are great for the money but don't even compare. Now just need the wilson trigger, flat mainspring housing, grip and thumb safety to show up. Hopefully it arrives before Christmas.

the way it's going, her valentines gift will be me cerakoting it and a kydex holster
    Last edited by slosurfer; 12-07-2014 at 05:16 PM.
    My signature

Hey everyone, just getting back into the forums. Looking to get a new Springfield 1911 Range Officer soon. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them? My father so graciously surprised me by buying me one for my 30th birthday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current: 97 4runner Sr5, 5spd, 4wd... Awaiting wife's approval to start wrenching

Past: 88 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360, 4wd R.I.P.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819