Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rocko's Random Gun Talk Thread.

Rocko's Random Gun Talk Thread.

This thread will be a place where we can ask random gun questions, advice on buying new or used weaponry, ammo choices, cleaning, maintenance, parts, or anything else that crosses your little addled brain.

I will try to keep any other relevant threads linked here for Quick Access:

My Electrolysis Cleaning Thread: Here.
    Last edited by 04 Rocko Taco; 11-04-2014 at 07:22 PM.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Re: Rocko's Random Gun Talk Thread.

Okay guys - I have recently acquired a 1976 Marlin Glenfield Model 60. It needed a LOT of cleaning, it looked like someone has tried to stuff it full of modeling clay. ANyway, I got it clean, but have an issue. I need a disconnecter spring. I called Marlin Firearms yesterday and spoke with a guy in their parts department and he said he wasn't sure it would work, and since shipping would be approx 3 times the price of the part, he would ship it out free of charge, which is great. But what I really am asking for here is:

Does anyone have an "old style" Marlin Model 60? It doesn't necessarily have to be a Glenfield, just a, lets say, pre mid 80's Marlin Model 60. I am looking for some detailed pictures of the action assembly. I figure with it being the "most popular .22 in the world" the chances of someone here having one are pretty good. Please let me know. Thanks guys!!
    -Chris
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.

numrich gun parts might have it Chris, I would give thier site a look as they usually carry old, outdated parts and have diagrams.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

They do have an exploded diagram of the old style Model 60, but it doesn't show what I need. Numrich also does have the spring I need, I am thinking of going ahead and picking one up instead of waiting on a 'maybe' from Marlin. What I am really looking for is someone who can get me pictures of the action assembly in thier Model 60. I know exactly how the disconnecter spring was placed in my rifle, but I am not sure that it is correct. I saw a picture on Brownells site, it looks SORT of like mine did, but it was also of a newer style.
    -Chris

I found a walkthrough guide of tearing it down, that picture should work. Looks like I pretty much had the right idea anyway.
    -Chris

Okay guys - Newest addition to Rockos gun thread....

School me on mid range AR style rifles.
    Looking for a "cheap" AR, but dont want the proverbial "bottom of the bucket" crap. I want something decent, but on a budget, nothing high end.

Currently for lack of better knowledge or options, I am looking at the Smith and Wesson M&P15 Sport.
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y
    MSRP - 739.00 so retail should come in below that.
    I am looking for something in a 5.56 chamber. What do you guys think?
    -Chris

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big name manufacturers these days, especially for ARs. Are you going to be using it for plinking or will you be taking it to a carbine course or law enforcement duties?

There's also this from Buds gun shop $572 http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/61626

It was posted on slickdeals.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I've looked at the Smith and Wesson M&P15 Sport and I like it. I of course don't need it but have considered it. I've got buddies, some LE, that have some really high end setups but there isn't much about them that warrant an additional $1000. Nice thing about the AR platform is that there is so much you can do with them. My plan is to get one, one day. Shoot it then modify as necessary.

This will be for general purpose shooting. Mostly poking holes in inanimate objects. But it'll be nice to have come SHTF time.
    I like the plan of buying an off the shelf and modding as needed down the road, but am beginning to think more about an AR build.

I like the look and the price of the S&W Sport, and I know the M&P series are decent rifles, I have a couple of buddies who have them.
    I dont need a ton of tacti-cool accesories and stuff. Just a good shooter.

I won't start down the road with AR build questions in here just yet, for now I'll stick with off the shelf stuff.
    -Chris

the M&P15 is a good choice. and that price is 200 less then what they sell for here in cali.

but building it is always more fun. i built mine. im thinking about buying a complete upper with a 24" barrel to swap on then building a 2nd lower for it later.
    just because you&#39;ve always done it that way doesn&#39;t mean it&#39;s not incredibly stupid.<br /><br />1999 4x4 SR5 4runner<br />http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&amp;Itemid=26&amp;topic=1 081.0

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast