Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Rocko's Random Gun Talk Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleWagonActual View Post
    Oh, I know in this case i believe it was after a squib mid string while he was trying to unload as fast as possible. As long as you're not shooting a damaged pistol or bad ammo just about any maintained 1911 is going to function fine for many years. I like my guns to be used and if I ever bought a handgun that cost even 1/2 my monthly salary I don't think I'd use it as often.
    The friend I go shooting with uses a higher end 1911 for competition and in one stage he had a squib. The RO and I both yelled stop and luckily he wasn't fast enough to get another round off. That was during his learning curve on the progressive reloader.

As for not using an expensive gun...even the expensive guns like to be used...just do it!
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Glad you guys caught him in time, in the heat of competition you could miss it, but there is really no mistaking the sound or feel of a squib round if just plinking at the range, in my experience, anyway.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

That's just the thing, we didn't catch him in time. He was new to shooting, paid a primo on a beautiful pistol, and thought he was being cool trying to blow through a full mag. Turns out the guy bought a reloader and tried making his own ammo. Luckily everyone was okay, but it definitely could have been worse.

I was just shooting at an indoor range when this happened. I wasn't in any competition at the time or anything so I didn't notice the squib with the lanes separated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current: 97 4runner Sr5, 5spd, 4wd... Awaiting wife's approval to start wrenching

Past: 88 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360, 4wd R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleWagonActual View Post
    That's just the thing, we didn't catch him in time. He was new to shooting, paid a primo on a beautiful pistol, and thought he was being cool trying to blow through a full mag. Turns out the guy bought a reloader and tried making his own ammo. Luckily everyone was okay, but it definitely could have been worse.

I was just shooting at an indoor range when this happened. I wasn't in any competition at the time or anything so I didn't notice the squib with the lanes separated.
    Yeah with the barrel going, I didnt think you caught him. I was referring to THIS one:

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4 View Post
    The friend I go shooting with uses a higher end 1911 for competition and in one stage he had a squib. The RO and I both yelled stop and luckily he wasn't fast enough to get another round off. That was during his learning curve on the progressive reloader.

As for not using an expensive gun...even the expensive guns like to be used...just do it!
    Either way, squibs are no fun for anyone.
    I have just started reloading .223 and .45 myself.
    I will test all of my initial loads carefully to make sure I'm getting exactly what I think I am. These are good stories to keep you cautious.
    -Chris
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.

Yeah I didn't even see that, sorry. I'm not always the most observant.

As for the reloading, what are you planning on using it for? Is you .223 an AR, mini-14, or something else. I might have a few loads if you're looking for precision but you'll need a NATO 5.56 chamber and not a .223Rem for safety reasons due to tolerances and chamber pressures.

Pistol, I tend to not care as much as the only time I'm competing with one is on the Marine Corps dime. I still have a good number of contacts from my time there and can probably get a whole slew of loads though for anyone looking for them.

Current: 97 4runner Sr5, 5spd, 4wd... Awaiting wife's approval to start wrenching

Also, is it wrong that I come to a Yota forum and find myself talking more on the gun thread than anything else? Lol

I'm using my .223 in an AR. It is a 5.56 chamber.
    Not looking for super precision, mostly just reproducing commercial loads, but would like any ideas for precision loads.
    The .45 again, just looking for commercial loads, my handgun shooting skills, commercial ammo is as good as I am.

And no, it isnt wrong. I have been a member over on Pirate for a long time, and I think probably 90% or better of my posts are in the OSR (gun forum) over there.
    -Chris

Forgot that I have a couple shotguns that I haven't added on here. First is your run of the mill Maverick 88 for home security. Got it on sale at Big 5 awhile ago. Added a hi viz front sight and an heat shield with peep sights. Going to remove the sights and probably the shield too, the sights are plastic (crooked too) and the heat shield doesn't stay in place very well. Only real plans are to add a good flashlight and mount.

Sent from my tappy tappy thingy
    My signature

Next one is my favorite. My grandfather's old Remington Model 10. This thing is awesome! According to my research, this one was made in 1927. Need to go shoot some trap and skeet to get better with it and get more birds this year. Makes a great turkey gun, got a nice one last year.

Cool break down design

Sent from my tappy tappy thingy
    My signature

Slosurfer, that's an awesome Model 10 you have there man. I've inherited an old Winchester/ Savage arms model 67c in 20ga with a 28" modified "choke" barrel. As old as it is it's amazing how much I still use it. Hopefully it'll still be working a decade from now for my son.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast