Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Rocko's Random Gun Talk Thread.

Test fired her today. Worked great with Winchester and American Eagle FMJ. 2 rounds failed (out of the 150 tonight). Neither would allow it to go into full battery. Looks like the rounds were pushed into the casing farther than they should but I am not sure if the pistol did that or they were like that from the factory.

Definitely need to do a trigger job on this, I think it is like a 12 pound pull or something lol. Groups good but I need to learn to shoot a pistol (never got to learn in the Marines, shot everything else, just no pistol) and you can tell I am pushing trying to get that trigger pulled. Did some steel shooting and a couple targets, targets were at 7 yds. The two targets are almost a perfect match if you lay them on top of each other.

Last edited by slosurfer; 10-31-2014 at 12:00 AM.
    My signature

Looking good Chris. I bet it's fun to shoot off 230 grains from something you made.

As for the FTF, I've had great luck with 100 round white box Winchester. I suppose the gun could have caused the bullet to be pushed in but wouldn't it still fire? Or at least try? Was the primer stuck on the two that failed? I've got a new double feed issue on my .45 that I need to figure out. After taking everything apart last night I think it might be one of the magazine but of course I need to go back out to the range to figure it out. FWIW it was white box that was double feeding.

One was definitely with a bad magazine (I should just chuck the mags that came with the Sarco kits) They wouldn't fire because they wouldn't fully seat, therefore the slide wasn't all the way forward. Tried them a couple times just to make sure in the good mags. I think the round is seated in the casing too deep and the casing is bulged. Whether they were like that or my bad mag caused the round to feed wrong and my slide pushed the round in, I am not sure.
    My signature

I think they were out of the white box, I will check when I get home.
    My signature

So with the slide not closing the pin wouldn't hit the primer anyway. That's good.

Bulged is no good. I'm thinking it came out of the box that way unless you've got a heck of a spring in there that's slamming it home and bulging a casing.

Yeah the hammer wouldn't even fall, so that is good. If they are both from the same box, then I will assume it was from the factory
    My signature

So, I looked at them again. Both were from the winchester white box and it didn't look like it was really bulging. When I compared them to the American Eagle that I have here, I noticed that the cases were longer on the bad winchesters. Online dimensions say that the length of the case should be 22.81mm and these were almost a full mm longer. Not sure if that really matters, but it makes me feel better that it was out of the same box and I am pretty sure both were out of the bad magazines. I think I will just toss those ones. They didn't feed well apparently, didn't hold the slide open on last round, and the springs were super tough.
    My signature

1mm could definitely do it since it head spaces off the length of the shell. Sounds like it's the ammo, but you're on the right track with the mag too. Mags are the #1 cause for gun problems.

By the way, nice grouping. Whenever I go to the range I see people with targets that look like they used a shotgun to shoot them.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Thanks Steve. Honestly just stoked that it ran well. Now I can work on the trigger and my technique to get more accurate.

Chris, check out this new jig specifically for doing this with a drill press. Also comes with the bits and everything.
    http://www.matrixprecisionparts.com/...2f006003278ac8
    Last edited by 04 Rocko Taco; 11-03-2014 at 11:42 PM.
    My signature

Picked up a couple boxes of Winchester PDX1 to see if it would feed the hollow points. FYI, at Dicks right now 25% off hollow point pistol ammo. Fired one box and they fed just fine. The other box is saved for HD now that I know it will eat them.

I also went through another box of 100 white box and a couple mags of American Eagle. This time no hiccups and I only used the good mags.

I mostly shot at steel but did shoot a bit at paper at the end. My target looks exactly like the ones posted above. I concentrated on breathing, steady squeeze of the trigger, squeezing straight back, etc... I felt like I was shooting well and my group was better, but still left and a little low. Anyways, I just started to clean it tonight and noticed that the rear sight isn't centered. I don't know why I haven't noticed before, I guess just too worried about getting everything else right. I don't have my calipers here but with a square piece of paper and a ruler, it is at least 1 mm to the left. By my calculations, the middle of my group needs to move 2.5" to the right, which is about 1.5 mm to the right on my rear sight. Going to try to drift it in the next couple days. Maybe, just maybe, I don't suck as much as I thought

My signature

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast