Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got a sweet new mountain bike!

Got a sweet new mountain bike!

Well after looking and longing for a mountain bike for several years, a set of birthday presents made it possible to get one. After shopping craigslist, ebay, and several pawn shops for a few weeks I wasn't happy with what I was finding. So I started looking at Performance Bicycle, REI, and other bike shops.

After talking to techs at the shops and reading up online, I narrowed my selections down to a hardtail 29'r or an entry-level full suspension rig. Problem is, being 6'4" I needed a large or extra-large frame. So I looked through the in-stock bikes in the two performance bicycle locations in Tucson, and found my bike!

It's a 2009 Mongoose Teocali Comp, XL frame It's an all-mountain bike capable of a lot more than I am that's for sure. I got it for $790 out the door, and I feel is very well equipped at that price point! The frame has 5.7" travel in the rear, and the front Rock Shox Tora has 5.1" travel. Also has Tektro hydraulic disc brakes, and Shimano SLX derailers. Overall, I'm super excited about this thing; I just need to finish my shoulder physical therapy before I can ride it
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Re: Got a sweet new mountain bike!

29'ers are a must for the tall crowd. In my mountain bike race class there are about 15 guys. Me and maybe 2 or 3 more guys are the only ones on 26" wheels.

Pics or it didn't happen.

I wish I could fit on a 29er, but I have a hard enough time with the height on my new fangled full suspension bike. I'm used to a 1990 fully rigid bike.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I'm 5'10" with a 31 inch inseam and I had to sell my Surly Karate Monkey 29'er bike. The frame size was correct but it was a huge bike. When I rode it I felt like I was riding a horse. Most folks I know with mountain bikes have all the new fangled stuff and they all ride 29'ers, even the little women. The new frames have much better geometery so they would fit me fine but I've recently spent some money spec'ing my current bike so a new frame isn't in the card (which is fine).

I'm super excited about this thing, it has good reviews online and will be able to handle anything I can throw at it. I'll probably upgrade the front fork to one with lockout and more adjustability later on, but for now this is a HUGE upgrade compared to what I've owned in the past. Problem is, I can't ride it for around 4 months because I just had shoulder surgery. Oh well I can still admire it lovingly ...

Some specs about the bike for those who care:

FRAME: Mongoose FreeDrive All Mountain 6061 Aluminum w/ Zero Stack Headset, Forged Dropouts & Disc Mount, Replaceable Derailleur Hanger, 145mm Travel

FORK/SHOCK: RockShox Tora 289 w/ Air Spring, Rebound Adjust & U-Turn 85-130mm Travel; SR/Suntour Epicon Air Shock w/ Rebound Adjust

DRIVETRAIN: Shimano SLX/Deore Derailleurs, Deore Trigger Shifters, FSA Alpha-Drive Crankset w/ ISIS Splined Bottom Bracket

BRAKES: Tektro Auriga Comp Hydraulic Disc, 160mm Rotors

As proof, here are some pics showing that it did indeed happen

[img width=800 height=597]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l70/mastacox/IMG_20101026_160329.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=597]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l70/mastacox/IMG_20101027_165855.jpg[/img]

[img width=597 height=800]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l70/mastacox/IMG_20101027_165906.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=597]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l70/mastacox/IMG_20101027_165920.jpg[/img]

[img width=597 height=800]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l70/mastacox/IMG_20101027_165933.jpg[/img]
    Brian
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

btw- I have a 36" inseam with shoes on, this bike is about 33-34" standover right in front of the seat. Its a great size for me, but a real monster of a bike comparing it to the small versions of the same model!

Brian

I was originally looking at the Mongoose Otero Elite, which is a level below this one in terms of performance, but it's large frame model wasn't tall or long enough for me so I ruled it out. Glad I did, because I got this bike for just a bit more, and it's miles ahead in terms of rear suspension geometry and overall performance

2010 Mongoose Otero Elite (MSRP $799.99): http://www.mongoose.com/usa/usaeng/m...EL-Otero-Elite

2009 Mongoose Teocali Comp (MSRP ~$1500): http://www.mongoose.com/nor/eng/mtn/...C-Teocali-Comp
    Brian

4 months! I'd buy or borrow a trainer and slap a slick tire on the rear. Set it up in front of the tv and get some miles on it. I own a trainer and hate it mostly because I enjoy riding outside instead. If a doctor told me I couldn't ride for 4 months I'd be devistated. The trainer let's you use you legs and gets your cardio going. If your shoulder started giving you trouble you could just sit up and ride with no hands.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    4 months! I'd buy or borrow a trainer and slap a slick tire on the rear. Set it up in front of the tv and get some miles on it. I own a trainer and hate it mostly because I enjoy riding outside instead. If a doctor told me I couldn't ride for 4 months I'd be devistated. The trainer let's you use you legs and gets your cardio going. If your shoulder started giving you trouble you could just sit up and ride with no hands.
    Well as it is I haven't been riding bikes for a while, and 4 months puts us in feb, which will be snowy and cold (well, at least cold, snow will depend on weather). Let's just say this bike is for next season I'm definitely looking forward to getting cardio in on this thing instead of jogging; I HATE jogging...

I like the trainer idea though, might look into it.
    Brian

Navigator

nice bike... good to see Mongoose is actually building decent bikes again. that is a weird rear geometry, but looks like it should function well. If you have much weight to you and plan to hit any higher speed tech trails, that fork is gonna die :-P iv gone through 2 forks on my mountain bike, and finally ended up with a RockShox Pike DualAir (which i love! this thing is beefy and super smooth).

Im 6'3" but i actually hate riding bikes that are sized "correctly" for me... i prefer the small side, medium-large. I think a lot of it has to do with the very technical high speed trails we have around here... i like a little more room between my junk and the seat :-P as well as the shorter wheelbase for the tight turns and drops
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast