Thread: Tighten up the rattle trap.

Tighten up the rattle trap.

You know, My '97 sr5 drives very quietly and smooth on average roads but even just something like a patch in the pavement or a low man-hole cover causes a terrible shake and rattle in my car. I'm running friendly 6 ply tires, I have a modest 2 inch lift with factory springs up front and ome 906 in the rear and it was doing all this before the lift and tires. Also when I drive on semi rough dirt roads there is a harsh knocking in my steering column right behind the wheel that drives me nuts and makes a terrible sound. My question is, What can I do as far as trying to restore that tight and smooth feeling it used to have. it feels somewhat loose and rickety and I'd love to be able to improve this in any way I can. do I need new body mount bushings? suspension pivots, ball joints? Any ideas? I'm happy to spend a day tightening every bolt I can reach on my car but where should I start?
    '97 SR5. OME 906 rear, Toytec Bilstein coilovers w/facory springs. 265/75r16 Good year duratracs.

Re: Tighten up the rattle trap.

Check your ball joints, the steering stabilizer could be bad, could be bad steering box, etc.

More info needed: 4runner, taco, engine, trans, etc. Its not the lift if it was doing it before.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Re: Tighten up the rattle trap.

I'd look into the steering rack bushings first.

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/4runnerrackbushkit.htm
    94 4Runner, SR5 3.0V6, 4WD, 5spd: SOLD<br />99 4Runner, SR5, 3.4L 4WD, 5spd.&nbsp;&nbsp; full SS 1.2 lift, RedLine Fluids, Marline Shifter seat, BruceTS rear bumper, roof busket, Marlin 1200 Clutch, hitch mount tire carrier, Tundra brakes, Brembo rotors.&nbsp; Stubb&#039;s sliders, Lightforce 240, ARB Taco bar, BruceTS rear bumper, stainless steel skid plate.&nbsp; ScanGaugeII, Hankook AT 265/75 LC80 wheels.<br />04 4Runner, V6 SR5 4WD, 3rd Gen. LTD wheels, BFG AT 265/75, FJC coils and silver Bilstein shocks, Scion H/U.