Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideas on how to mount Pressure Gauge (04 4runner)

Re: Ideas on how to mount Pressure Gauge (04 4runner)

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    Yes, that would work. The only thing I'd watch out for is whether it keeps accurate pressure after bouncing around in a truck since it's made to sit on a compressor in a garage it's whole life.
    I've had a few different regulators in my day and abused all the ones I've had on an OBA system. I've gotten a few cheap HF ones so hot the plastic window on the gage discolored but the gage and the regulator still worked. The most common problem I've found is the accuracy of the gage itself, even when new. I had 2 gages on my old truck and they were close to 10 psi off between the 2. Didn't really matter to me but nonetheless, they weren't the same.

Yes, that would work. The only thing I'd watch out for is whether it keeps accurate pressure after bouncing around in a truck since it's made to sit on a compressor in a garage it's whole life.
    Considering all the vibrations that a compressor produces when it's on, I don't think you have to worry about it all that much.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Considering all the vibrations that a compressor produces when it's on, I don't think you have to worry about it all that much.
    I thought about that, but the thing is that it's a different kind of vibration. Remember, I'm a vibrations engineer and I break things all the time that otherwise looks like beef. Don't mind me though, I'm just overly conservative when it comes to vibration. Mike makes good points with real world data.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I thought about that, but the thing is that it's a different kind of vibration. Remember, I'm a vibrations engineer and I break things all the time that otherwise looks like beef. Don't mind me though, I'm just overly conservative when it comes to vibration. Mike makes good points with real world data.
    Yeah, I know what you mean, but also consider all the regulators that are on portable work compressors that spend most of their time bouncing around the back of a contruction truck and are still fairly accurate. My job compressor gets bumped and jarred all the time and the regulator is still accurate. We have many regulators at our self-serve carwash that my grandpa owns and I take care of. We have to combat constant useage, water, and vibration constantly, and the only things in the carwash that I've never seen break or wear out have been the regulators. I think the more important thing is makeing sure your regulator is accurate with your pressure gauge (or at least you should know how much it is off). My regulator that is on my homemade powertank is still accurate and it's been bouncing around my 4runner for years now.
    My signature

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12