Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.4l engine issue/question

3.4l engine issue/question

On the drive to my night class today I was pulling onto the freeway and basically floored the throttle merging.. and the 4Runner was hesitant about doing what I asked. It felt like the throttle was cutting out, and the 4Runner was a little jerky.

Then on the way home I tried to recreate it..so merging onto the freeway I floor the throttle again.. This time it doesn't do it, but it didn't seem to have the power it should have. The revs stayed up like they should, but it also sounded like I had super charger whine happening.

This sound like anything in particular going wrong?

Re: 3.4l engine issue/questionEarli

IAC? MAF? Vacuum hose came off? Did you get any CEL's? How is your idle?

Idles like normal. No CEL.

As for the 'cutting out'.. I'm wondering if maybe the gas I got had some water in it because I had just filled up the day it happened. Now today it was doing it a good bit when I'd accelerate. I mean from about 50mph / between 1500 & 2000 rpms I'd barely apply throttle and it would do it.

As for the super charger whine.. Not sure since it only does it WOT, and I rarely accelerate that quick.

I'll give a look at the hoses tomorrow.

Navigator

my BMW has been doin the same thing lately, i need to start troubleshooting that >.<
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Could the whine maybe be the alternator? I'm not that car smart..so I honestly don't know. I didn't get a chance to check for any hoses today.. was my daughters first bday party (her actual bday was on the 11th)... plus Mother Nature decided to drop about 6 inches of snow on us... just a day before we were in the 60's..and a few days before that we were in the 70s. Love Minnesota weather!

Little update..

The 4Runner is doing it more more often now.. and as per my original post about it being the revs dropping.. that is not the case. The revs don't move with the cutting out happens.

On the way home from work tonight I had the cruise set to 59mph, and as the 4Runner was going up a slight incline it started going it again, but this time the CEL came out... well it flashed about 8-10times, and then stayed off.

Still hoping this is just bad gas!

Navigator

if the light came on then the code is stored in the ecu (even if the light is not on anymore) find someone with an obd2 scanner to pull the code for you. Might give u an idea of where to start
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

I'm off tomorrow so I'll run by AutoZone and have them pull the codes for me..

Quote Originally Posted by Crinale
    if the light came on then the code is stored in the ecu (even if the light is not on anymore) find someone with an obd2 scanner to pull the code for you. Might give u an idea of where to start
    X2

Get the OBD code (number) and post it so we can help.

Could be the alternator, easy to check with a DMM.......should be over 14V with no ascessories on.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

I ran by AutoZone today, and the guy told me he couldn't read the code since the light wasn't on anymore. I told him it should be stored still, and he said it's only stored for until the car is restarted, or the battery is pulled. So, I'm guessing I'm going to go back tomorrow or the next day and just say it was just on, and went off.

I did get the alternator tested while I was there, and it seems to be fine.

I bought a cheap bottle of ISOHeet, which hopefully will solve my 'running terrible' problem.. it's supposed to help with water in the tank & clean the injectors. We'll see.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast