Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3.4l engine issue/question

Re: 3.4l engine issue/question

Just bought the plugs from dealership, $2.99/each. Cheapest place to get 'em... They said the wires were $97.50! So, I'll be ordering the same wires off Amazon for ~$25 tonight. I took and had the codes read as well today... I forget exactly which they were (I'm in class right now, and I left the print out at home).. I believe it was like P0300 & P0302.. Cylinder misfire.

Now I'm on from hoping it was just bad gas, to hoping it's bad plugs.. and not the coil packs.

I'll be paying 4Runners.org a visit when it comes time to change 'em out (hopefully by next thursday if the wires get here in time).

(Edit: It seems since yesterday the sale on the wires are over.. so instead of $23.xx they're $31.)

Just a quick question.. I'm about to order the wires off Amazon, and figured I'd go ahead and throw a few other things in the cart while I'm at it... like an extension bar, anti-seize.. and I just read on a few forums that 1/4" fuel line is handy for lowering the plug in and starting the threading process...

Bob's write-up says to have a few extension bars including a 12inch.. is a 12inch necessary or will a 10inch do? Most of the ones I'm seeing are 4, 6 & 10inch extensions.. Whatta you guys think about the fuel line hose? Skip it, or not?

Quote Originally Posted by fenrisx
    Just a quick question.. I'm about to order the wires off Amazon, and figured I'd go ahead and throw a few other things in the cart while I'm at it... like an extension bar, anti-seize.. and I just read on a few forums that 1/4" fuel line is handy for lowering the plug in and starting the threading process...

Bob's write-up says to have a few extension bars including a 12inch.. is a 12inch necessary or will a 10inch do? Most of the ones I'm seeing are 4, 6 & 10inch extensions.. Whatta you guys think about the fuel line hose? Skip it, or not?
    i use a spark plug socket (has a little rubber or foam insert that holds the sparkplug in the socket), and lower the whole thing down in the well, and start it by hand, threading all the way until its hand tight, then finishing with a torque wrench.

to me, the hose is never straight, and i can never get them started that way. i have a spark plug installer, basically a tube open on one end, but i still find myself using the socket with extension. as for the extension, probably the 10" should work. i know i have used a ujoint in the past to get at the driver side plugs, but you may be able to do it without.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by fenrisx

Skip the hose, just have a good set of sockets, ratchet, 6" extension, spark plug socket (w/rubber boot) and some anti-seize handy.

Also DO NOT BUY ANY BRAND OF ELECTRICAL PARTS OTHER THAN NGK OR DENSO (I used caps to save you major headaches later).

Post the OBD code if you get it because that will help alot with diagnosis on this (hopefully it's simple though).
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Well, I don't have the sheet with me, but I'm pretty confident it was P0300 and P0302 for the engine codes.

I went ahead and ordered everything off Amazon after my last post, and was just going to cancel the order on the tubing one I got your guys opinion on yay/nay. But since posting that I worked two 15hr shifts, and haven't touched the computer until now.... in which case the stuff has already shipped. Oh well.. no biggie.

I did go with NGK TE-66 wire set because it was a whopping ~$2 cheaper than the Denso(which WAS on sale for about 9 less).

Should be here Tuesday.

at least you had an engine code to go off of, i never had a CEL which made diagnosing difficult.

cant wait to see the results, i really hope this solves your problem.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Me too! It's only cold and snowy the next few days..perfect time to do some work on the 4Runner.. too bad the garage is blocked off by my sister-in-laws broken down Lumina with flat tires.

The wires came today, so hopefully I ca get this done tomorrow, if not then Wednesday.

Good news! We just sold the sister-in-laws car to a salvage place that came and picked it up.. so the garage entrance is clear, and I just finished making enough room to pull the 4Runner into the garage.

It looks like tomorrow is the day! It's supposed to snow so it's good that I can actually pull halfway into the garage now. I thought about doing it now.. but it's like 18degrees & dark out.

The rubber insert on my spark plug socket is missing, is that a big deal? It fell out a while back and I don't remember if I kept it our now (didn't know what it was for).

Yeah you really need that insert. In a pinch, a wadded up piece of duct tape may work, but if you have the option, a new socket is much much preferred.

Hopefully I can find that.. I don't want to go drive to the part store and back, and then have to wait on the engine to cool..yadda yadda.. Honestly I'll probably be stubborn, and try it without it. I've got the fuel line I could try as well..

Worst case scenario I'm stranded until the wife's dad comes in from work, and I borrow his truck to run to the parts store!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast