Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof point -n-shoot or pocket camcorder?

Waterproof point -n-shoot or pocket camcorder?

So the wife and I can't agree on what kind of camera to get to replace my waterproof Olympus. I had an Olympus 850 for work that I took with me everywhere. Walks, duck hunting, fishing, etc. It was waterproof and could (and did) withstand substantial falls. My wife didn't really lke it but we both want to replace it, but this time I'm thinking of going to the video side and getting a Kodak PlaySport ZX3 http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-PlaySpor...9634878&sr=1-1. In the past we would rarely take video of our son with the Olympus becuase it just wasn't that good. It stopped recording sound towards the end. I want to get more vidoe now that he's really talking and running around like a mad man. It would also be sweet to have video out when I'm hunting. My wife just wants to take pics when shes out on walks, but waterproofness is a must eitherway due to our constant rain/snow/saltwater up here.

The Playsport takes 5mp stills, so I don't think it would be much different than the old olympus, plus I think she'd come to love the HD vedio.

What suggestions do you guys have?

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Re: Waterproof point -n-shoot or pocket camcorder?

Well I personally would want a video camera that takes better 1080p video, but the waterproof requirement really narrows down you choices. The Kodak has good reviews online, and you can't beat the price, so I would say get it and see what you think!

From the reviews, make sure you get a memory card it is compatible with, it seems that it needs to be a class 4 card.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

GoPro HD Hero might be an option. It definately fits the bill as far as being almost indestructible. Shoots 5mp stills, can shoot 5mp stills at certain intervals, can shoot up to 1080HD, fits a 2 to 32 gig sd card, and depending on the package, comes with a bunch of different mounts or there are many available to purchase.

Downsides are that it does a lot but does not have a viewfinder or lcd screen, so it takes some playing around with it to get good with it.

Shop around and you can find them at pretty good deals and sometimes with a sd card.

Here's the Naked Package which is basically the camera minus a bunch of mounts.

I got the motorsports package , a 32gig card, and an added regular tripod mount for $330 shipped.

http://goprocamera.com for more info and to see the other models/packages

My signature

I'm reluctant to click on Chris' Naked Package link above.

I use a waterproof Olympus point and shoot at work and it's a good little camera. I don't use the video but I'm sure it's what to be expected from a pNs.

I've got the Pentax Optio W90: http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10...axoptiow90.asp

It's 'nice' but it doesn't blow me away with image quality, of course I'm saying that being used to a Nikon D300...

Here's an original (full size) from the camera: IMGP0252

It's not a good photo of anything really, but at least you can see what you'd expect for images.

As for the waterproofing.... Now that is cool. I've gone cliff jumping with it attached to my wrist and it's held up just fine, plus made for some neat videos. Again though, don't expect the videos to be anything special. Not even in the same ballpark as a GoPro HD. But again, for an all around use waterproof digital pNs, i've been quite pleased. Especially when you can pick it up at amazon for $212: http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-W90-Wat...9667813&sr=8-1
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

I was gonna suggest Pentax - they weatherproof their cameras really well. That's one thing that makes me sad about my Rebel, is the lack of weatherproofing.
    [b] -Bekah <br />.=. It&#39;s not the fall that hurts, it&#39;s that stop at the end .=.

Quote Originally Posted by mastacox
    Well I personally would want a video camera that takes better 1080p video, but the waterproof requirement really narrows down you choices. The Kodak has good reviews online, and you can't beat the price, so I would say get it and see what you think!

From the reviews, make sure you get a memory card it is compatible with, it seems that it needs to be a class 4 card.
    What specs would you look for with 1080p video? Is 1080p @ 30 frames per second too slow?

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    GoPro HD Hero might be an option. It definately fits the bill as far as being almost indestructible. Shoots 5mp stills, can shoot 5mp stills at certain intervals, can shoot up to 1080HD, fits a 2 to 32 gig sd card, and depending on the package, comes with a bunch of different mounts or there are many available to purchase.

Downsides are that it does a lot but does not have a viewfinder or lcd screen, so it takes some playing around with it to get good with it.

Shop around and you can find them at pretty good deals and sometimes with a sd card.

I got the motorsports package , a 32gig card, and an added regular tripod mount for $330 shipped.

Since my wife will use this during her walks, it needs to be user friendly, and should have an LCD screen

Quote Originally Posted by oly884
    I've got the Pentax Optio W90: http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10...axoptiow90.asp

It's 'nice' but it doesn't blow me away with image quality, of course I'm saying that being used to a Nikon D300...

Here's an original (full size) from the camera: IMGP0252

It's not a good photo of anything really, but at least you can see what you'd expect for images.

As for the waterproofing.... Now that is cool. I've gone cliff jumping with it attached to my wrist and it's held up just fine, plus made for some neat videos. Again though, don't expect the videos to be anything special. Not even in the same ballpark as a GoPro HD. But again, for an all around use waterproof digital pNs, i've been quite pleased. Especially when you can pick it up at amazon for $212: http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-W90-Wat...9667813&sr=8-1
    I like the looks of that camera.

Thanks everyone for the information so far. Keep it coming. Maybe someone can speak to the trade offs between going for HD video over still photos. Like I was saying, I think the pocket video recorders take good enough photos for being waterproof.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Navigator

only question i can address here is 30fps is plenty. The US standard for broadcast is 29.97fps (dont ask on the random decimal).. European standard is only 25 fps. So 30 is great
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer

I'm probably going to pull the trigger on the Kodak this evening, but I was looking into the Hero and found this catalog. Really shows what that little camera can do! http://download.goprocamera.com/HD_HERO_Catalog_v04.pdf

Erich
    -Erich
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

That is crazy. Those surf shots are awesome. But us photographers are gonna go obsolete with stuff like that on the market!
    [b] -Bekah <br />.=. It&#39;s not the fall that hurts, it&#39;s that stop at the end .=.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast