Thread: 12V source for aftermarket gauges?

12V source for aftermarket gauges?

Where are you guys wiring in for 12v to aftermarket gauges?

Are there spare spade sockets under or behind the dash anywhere?
    1997 4Runner

Re: 12V source for aftermarket gauges?

no, you will have to tap something in the dash.

quick taps work ok, but i would not use them. every connection in my vehicle is a soldered connection now, since i have had so many crimp connections fail over the years of washboard roads and poor paving by Cal Trans.

find a circuit that comes on with IGN or ACC and tap that. i doubt the gauge requires much current to run, so you should be fine tapping just about anything, your best bet is the cig lighter though. its easy to find, tap, and run your wire to wherever you need to.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    Find a circuit that comes on with IGN or ACC and tap that. i doubt the gauge requires much current to run, so you should be fine tapping just about anything, your best bet is the cig lighter though. its easy to find, tap, and run your wire to wherever you need to.
    X2

The best place to tap is probably the lighter circuit, easy to get to and won't affect anything if you draw any decent current from it.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

I'm using a Painless Wiring 7-circuit kit (4 ignition hot circuits, 3 constant power) with the IGN-hot input wire attached to the ECU's power wire. This way the IGN-hot circuits don't turn on for ACC, only for ON. I originally installed the painless kit for powering my piggyback ECU, but I have ended up using for my aftermarket oxygen sensor, tranny temp sensor, inverter, extra cig lighter plugs, and still have a few free circuits.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Yep, cig lighter is your easiest choice followed by the switched ignition wire for the radio
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

I actually went with an http://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-HHA-Add-Circuit/dp/B000DCN9IA"]"Add a Circuit" [/url] they're maybe 8 bucks at the auto store and there was a spot on my fuse box that wasn't in use so it worked out. 12v whenever the ignition is switched on.

Of course I found the item after I took the entire dash apart but whatever.
    1997 4Runner