Thread: Fishing Rod Holder Build

Fishing Rod Holder Build

Not really a hardcore mod, but I think this is my first official mod for the new 4runner. In the 93 4runner I had some small rope strung across the back and front of the cargo area on which to hang my fishing rods. Having gone on a few camping/fishing trips in the new 4runner, I really needed something similar.

I started out with 1" strap strung across the useless plastic hangers in the cargo area. The steel tubes were left over from another project and just happened to fit perfectly. Unfortunately, despite the pretty tight fit, it just wasn't enough to hold the weight of the fishing rods.

So then I looked around the garage to see what I had laying around that I could use as an anchor and saw some flat bar and my leftover U-bolts from my SAS. Perfect.

After cutting off the legs of the U-bolts and drilling some holes, I was ready to weld them on from the back.

Then a little paint.

Then I had to break out the needle and thread and show off my mad sewing skilz to the wife, to sew the loops and velcro to the straps.
    The finished product...

The anchors are probably the beefiest things on the truck and can be used to tie down other things in the cargo area if the need arises.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Re: Fishing Rod Holder Build

great idea steve. so cute, you even rounded the corners

That's called professionalism Bob.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

That's a great idea! A must for anyone like myself who's snapped numerous pole tips
    2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4-Dub<br />TRD supercharger,&nbsp; Toytec Coilovers, OME 890&#39;s, 285 Duratracs

great mod!
    02 Sport (Sporticus)<br />881 / 906 OME Combo, 275/65/16 Faulken High Country AT&#39;s, Syntheic Fluids,Brembo / Hawk Combo and two car seats for the future wheelers<br /><br />2010 Highlander SE- Wife&#39;s kid transporter.<br /><br />1998 Tacoma- 2.7 liters of fury...after that is pretty plain and stock