Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help choosing 'filter lens'

Need help choosing 'filter lens'

i don't know much about DSLR cameras so need some help:

Looking to get my girlfriend a filter lens (i think?) for christmas for her recently purchased Canon rebel xs (http://www.amazon.com/Canon-XS-Digit...1048412&sr=1-1)

according to the amazon recommended accessories, it looks like the size needed is 58mm - please correct me if i'm wrong. the one under recommended accessories does not have great reviews. I guess i want one that protects from UV and also filters out glare when shooting at a light source.

Not trying to break the bank here, this was going to be more of a 'stocking stuffer' type gift. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, does the lens cap still snap on over this? or does the lens cap and filter lens have to be swapped out in order to use both?

thanks!

Re: Need help choosing 'filter lens'

So basically, you're looking for an actuall LENS or just a filter?

Yes, a cap will snap over the filter. I have a UV filter on 2 of my lenses, its pretty much just to help protect them. A polarizer is good to help with glare. It works well for taking out or intensifying reflections. But if you're trying to cut down on lens flare, get a lens hood. And shooting directly into the light is always a tricky situation... it's best to avoid it unless you're going for a certain effect and no amount of filters will really help... that's what Photoshop is for! Haha.
    [b] -Bekah <br />.=. It&#39;s not the fall that hurts, it&#39;s that stop at the end .=.

The UV filter looks like a piece of ultra clear glass. Honestly I've never noticed a differance with with on or off but all my lens have them for protection. Thing of that lens as safety glasses for the lens glass. The lens glass is something you don't want sractched or broken so having a filter on it will protect it. A polorizing filter will help on glare, just like polorized sunglasses. I've had several different kinds. Some are darker than others and I had one that had 3 different tints on one piece of glass.

I can't help you on the size (take a sneak peak at the back side of her lens cap, it'll tell you)so you're on your own. All my filters were bought on line from amazon and the like. I've never had one that I didn't like but then again I don't ask much from them. I've used Sunpak and eyetec brands.

Here is a little explaination:
    LINK

Ya, I think mine are all Sunpak. I have a few color filters too, those can be fun. And star filters can be fun to play with as well. I can look on my filter sizes later...
    [b] -Bekah <br />.=. It&#39;s not the fall that hurts, it&#39;s that stop at the end .=.

cool, thanks. i'm just looking for the filter(s). the thing i said about glare was just something i read in some of the reviews. i think this will work though:

http://www.amazon.com/Sunpak-CF-7080...065114&sr=1-10

Navigator

that twin pack looks like a good deal. those two filters should do what ur asking for.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Just make sure she knows that stacking filters can result in vignetting around the edges (shadowed corners). Sometimes it looks cool but sometimes it screws up the picture. But that does look like a good combo. I'd throw in a lens hood too, for good measure.

garrett, i bought the same camera last year about this time too. Its a decent little camera.

It is 58mm as you mentioned. While some people hate them, I would recommend attaching a lens cap securing cord (whatever its called). Losing lens caps bite the big one.

if you want to buy a great bang for the buck lens, consider buying the "nifty 50" lense from canon. it's a prime lens and it makes for great photos.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8...1104706&sr=1-1

Ya I have a Rebel Xs too... I really like it but I want to upgrade to a T2i... and I want to get some better glass... I can't decided which to save for first! But a lens cap cord thing is a good idea - I have them on mine. Good luck! And I hope she's not shooting on auto.

some odd girl,

the t2i's are selling really cheap now (cheap is a relative term, i know) on amazon for $800 with the standard 18-55mm lens as well as the 55-250mm lens. robinhood just got this kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast