* Wavelength: 605-610 (Amber Orange)
    * Lens Color: Water Clear
    * View Angle: 100-120 Degrees
    * Forward Voltage: 1.8-2.4v
    * Current: 20-30mA
    * Size: 3mm Piranha
    * Luminosity: 7,000 mcd

the plan is for a 15 LED array, 3x5.

input voltage will be automotive voltage, technically 12v, but can go up to 14.5.

the plan is to group it 3 in series and 5 parallel branches. or should i do groups of 5 in series (and 3 parallel) (which would be 12v at its max forward voltage) should i use a voltage regulator? or use a resistor? the pieces i have just use a simple resistor and are good for 9-14V. my math gives a 90 ohm resistor for that, approximately. and a 1 watt resistor i think would be necessary. thats all for 3 LEDs in series.

id like someone with some experiences with these lights help me out a bit. it all looks right and then again it doesnt.

maybe some reassurance on the math as well! im not sure what to use for the FV, if i should use the lower or upper limits, same with the supply voltage.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: Lets talk about LED's and powering them

im not sure how dirty you can get away with them. but id start with strings of 7 in series asuming FV is V across the led and then current regulate them so they wont pop. 600 ohm 1 watt resister in line with each string? its been awhile...dont want to steer you in the wrong direction.

geeze im drawing a blank...i cant even remeber what forumlas to use, but i think the 600 is way off

What are you using orange lights for?

Are you buying 100? If you are, then just wire them up and see if it works with just a resister.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

this will be for front & rear turn signals and front marker lights.

i will be buying red for brake/park and white for reverse

basically the bulbs i bought royally suck, so im making my own.

looking for some good math so i can apply the same equation with different values for the FV so i can adapt the circuit for different LED's.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

i suck but this page is good lol
    http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

If/when you get the setup sorted post it up since I am still considering going to led's for a marker/turn integration on my '95.

*I like the Corolla setup I did, but I want to just clean up the front a little more and not have to buy those two bulbs every year the second I goto Tahoe and they go with the first Cold Snap. 2 sets within a year, all high quality bulbs, it's they just can handle the cold or maybe ice build up on them and crack as they warm up.

Having been in the electronics industry, I have a little experience with LEDs

If you wanted to run them at max brightness and given your LED specs, then you would use parameter like this:
    Supply voltage = 14.5V (use a voltemeter on the truck to verify exact voltage)
    Voltage drop = 2.4V
    Desired LED current = 30 mA
    Number of LEDs Connected = 15 (max you can go is 6 LEDs per string given 14.5V supply voltage)

This site is much better for drawing diagrams and sizing the resistors, just plug in the parameters above.
    http://ledcalc.com/

Bottom line is that on each string of 5 LEDs powered by battery voltage, you'll need a 1/4 watt, 100 ohm resistor.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
    This site is much better for drawing diagrams and sizing the resistors, just plug in the parameters above.
    http://ledcalc.com/
    Bookmarked.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

thanks guys. looks like i have all the tools necessary.

next is just ordering parts and waiting patiently for them to get here.

here is a question for you. how should i design the brake/park lights?

should i have say 5 lights for the parking light, and all 15 hooked to the brakes?or should i do some kind of dimmer thing, where all 15 are illuminated but at half brightness with parking lights, and then brake lights fully illuminate the LED's. how would i do either?

Ken and I used LM317 for superflux circuits. All of mine are still in the garage but his are installed. He's only got 2 superfluxs' per LM317 but I you can add more arrays. The LM317's are cheap and the way to go.

I have some documentation but google: How to make a cheap 12 volt regulator.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast