Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Handheld GPS Recommendations

Handheld GPS Recommendations

So, I recently received a nice little Christmas bonus from work and decided to take the plunge on buying a handheld GPS. I've been researching for hours because I have no background in this, but haven't been able to come to any conclusions. The guide in this forum helped a lot, but I'm still stuck on what to do.

The main purposes of the GPS would be for:
    1. Hiking/Backpacking
    2. Use on the trail
    3. Possible use in deep canyons (so that hints towards good reception, although it's inevitable to lose it in places)

I've been looking at the Garmin 60CSx as well as the Delorme PN60, but I don't know if either of those would fit my needs.

Any recommendations/advice?
    -Casey-<br />94 4runner 4x4 SOLD<br />99 4runner Limited

Re: Handheld GPS Recommendations

I have a Garmin Oregon 300 and love it (nowadays you can get the 450T for the same price, or even cheaper: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Oregon-...2096954&sr=1-1) The 300 has all of the features of the 450t, but without the built-in topo maps. The Oregon is waterproof, ruggedized, has a good amount of built-in memory, digital compass and barometer, and can be expanded with a MicroSD card.

You don't need to get a GPS with built-in Topo maps, it's easy to find free topo maps for Garmin GPS units of any state in the US on www.GPSFileDepot.com, I have 20 ft contour maps of Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado on my GPS right now, all free and excellent quality!
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

ill be buying the PN60 Se or whatever with the spot included. the idea of sending texts with it is good for me.

2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    ill be buying the PN60 Se or whatever with the spot included. the idea of sending texts with it is good for me.

im about sold on that as well...all just for the text feature.

Navigator

i didnt know they made a gps with texting capability :-P
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

The texting feature is cool, but it's not pulling on me hard enough to give up the extra money. The regular PN60 looks pretty good to me, has anybody had any experience with it?

check on expedition portal, i know there are at least 2 threads (one started by me) about it.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    check on expedition portal, i know there are at least 2 threads (one started by me) about it.
    There was some good information over there, thanks for the tip. I ended up going with the PN60 without SPOT, ordered it last night since bestbuy actually has a fairly good deal on them right now. Hopefully it gets here soon so I can start messing around with it and let y'all know how it goes!

THANKS!

I'm searching for a GPS too.. That PN60 looks NICE!
    I wonder how it does with street nav though. Because I need that too.
    EDIT. DAMNIT WHY DOES THAT THING HAVE TO RUN OFF OF AA BATTERIES?!?!
    EDIT again. NVM. Found a Li-ion battery with car charger...
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast