Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Handheld GPS Recommendations

Re: Handheld GPS Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba
    I'm searching for a GPS too.. That PN60 looks NICE!
    I wonder how it does with street nav though. Because I need that too.
    EDIT. DAMNIT WHY DOES THAT THING HAVE TO RUN OFF OF AA BATTERIES?!?!
    EDIT again. NVM. Found a Li-ion battery with car charger...
    From what I read, the street nav is not the greatest on the Delorme's. If you're looking for a dual set up, the Garmin 60CSx would do a much better job. On the other hand, the Delorme does better with offroad/hiking than the Garmin. (Of course, I have no first hand experience, so...maybe I'll let you know once I get mine and have more experience.)
    -Casey-<br />94 4runner 4x4 SOLD<br />99 4runner Limited

Yeah.. Now that I think about it.. I'm not too worried about street nav from the GPS unit. I've got that on my iphone. The PN60 is on sale at Best Buy for 231. And my friend gets a pretty good discount from them since he works there. I'll probably be getting one of those soon. From what I've read, and seen from screen shots and such, the Delorme maps are a lot better then Garmins. And for only 25 bucks you have unlimited access to all of their maps and airial views.. SWEET.
    Now all I have to do is figure out how to adapt it to my Pro-fit GPS mount.
    Maybe a mishmash of Ram mounts added to it. Who knows.

Enough with my rambling. If I get this unit I'll chime back in with how I like it

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

geeze if everyone gets this one then you guys can teach me how to use it

Then.... I'll just pass my maps on to you. Then.. Between my GPS skill and your map reading skills.. we'll never get lost..

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

I'm going to be the devil's advocate in this Delorme love-fest...

The PN-60 is sweet and the SPOT add-on is very cool and a definite plus in emergency situations, but as a handheld/offroad GPS unit the PN-60 is going to be a frustrating choice due to it's small screen size (2.2") and shoddy resolution (220x176 ?!). Yes it supports aerial photography, but the screen is such a tiny low-res pile you'll be better off with a grayscale topo.

I functioned for quite some time with an old-school Magellan Meridian Platinum, and with a 160x120 screen resolution it was nearly worthless with topos. My view is that screen size and resolution is king on a GPS that you plan to download topos (and/or aerial photos) on to.

FWIW, the Garmin Oregon has a 3" touch screen with a 400x240 resolution. For those counting, that's 96,000 pixels, compared to the PN-60's 38,720 For this reason alone, I would not buy the Delorme. Screen size/res is too critical! My Oregon works with free hi-res topos, and the screen resolution is great for Topos/photos (I don't think the Garmin supports aerial photography overlays unfortunately, not a deal breaker for me- aerial photography on a gps is more of a techie novelty IMO). If there was a waterproof & ruggedized GPS with digital compass, barometer, and the screen resolution of my Droid (3.7", 854x480) I would get it no question. Until then, the Oregon seems to be the next best thing IMO.

You can get free 1:24,000 topos for the Garmin of about every state by the way
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba
    EDIT. DAMNIT WHY DOES THAT THING HAVE TO RUN OFF OF AA BATTERIES?!?!
    BTW, I think it's a good thing to have a GPS that runs off AA batteries. They're cheap, easy to carry spares, and it's likely for other people to have emergency spares as well.

This is all assuming the GPS has 20 hours or better of life with one set of AA's... My Oregon lasts around 20-25 hours on a set of Alkalines, slightly less on NIMH rechargeables.
    Brian
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

It seems to me that the Garmin Oregon has the largest, highest-resolution screen of any ruggedized hiking gps out there. I checked Lowrance, Magellan, Delorme, etc. and all their units have smaller screens with lower resolutions... The Lowrance Endura and Magellan Triton come closest with 2.7", 320x240.

Anyone know of a handheld ruggedized GPS that beats the Oregon?
    Brian

The 60CSx, as mentioned, is a great GPS, rugged as he*l. Your map capacity is going to be limited by the size of your micro SD card though. To solve this, I have 1 micro SD in the GPS and another one taped to the back side of the battery case. Between the two, there's room for most of the western US along with 24k topos of all the National parks, water navigation tables (for fishing) and a handful of custom maps i've made myself. It's a very capable device, although I've been reading a lot of good reviews on its little brother, the Oregon.
    2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4-Dub<br />TRD supercharger,&nbsp; Toytec Coilovers, OME 890&#39;s, 285 Duratracs

Yeah I've heard good things about both the Oregon and the 60CSx. We'll see how the Delorme does, still waiting on it to get here!
    -Casey-<br />94 4runner 4x4 SOLD<br />99 4runner Limited

Ended up with the Garmin Oregon 450. The BestBuy sale on the PN60 went away before I could buy. So the Delorme PN60 was more expensive than the Garmin 450. The 450 doesn't have preloaded maps, but theres always GPS depot for those. I'll have to spring for the on road navigation stuff so I can have dual purpose. But it looks like a good unit. And I've always been a fan of Garmin.

Now, hopefully I can adapt it to this damn Pro-fit mount.
    [img width=600 height=800]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a168/Sycosurfer150/IMG_0999.jpg[/img]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast