Thread: rack and pinion steering into a 2nd gen

rack and pinion steering into a 2nd gen

is there a way to put a 3rd gen rack and pinion into a 2nd gen ? i am sure with a welder anything is possible but can this be a factory mod ? are the front sub frames the same? 2nd gen and 3rd gen both being v6 4x4
    92 toyota 4runner sr5 v6 , 74 plymouth duster project

Re: rack and pinion steering into a 2nd gen

the 2nd and 3rd gens are vastly different up front. this would not be possible as you mentioned it (anything is possible with extensive fab). the engines are different, the suspensions are different (vastly different) and so is the steering system. in a 3rd gen, the steering linkage drops to near vertical after the firewall as it goes into the steering rack, which is placed behind the front suspension components.

for reference, 1st and 2nd gen 4runners share alot in common, especially front IFS. 3rd gen stands on its own, and 4th and 5th gens have much in common frame wise.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Yeah, you're not going to find any kind of plug and play option like that. If anything, it would probably be easier to go full hydro than to fab an existing rack onto the 2nd gen.

Anything is possible though... On the old school toyota vans, they started out with push/pull steering and then switched to rack and pinion in the later years and this rack is in front of the suspension. I'm guessing that if you were to do a R&P retrofit, it would look similar to how the vans have it
    My signature

Why would you want to? Rack and pinions suck.
    If I could have the steering of a 86-95 with the coilover suspension of a 96-02.. then I'd be in heaven.

Screw it, you can have my rack when I cut off my IFS... :P

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba
    Screw it, you can have my rack when I cut off my IFS... :P
    Speaking of which, when is this happening?
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Hopefully done by the end of 2011.
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Scuba, just curious why you feel this way. The R&P steering on my 3rd gen 4Runer is still tight. I had to replace idler arms frequently on my '87 and '94 trucks.

there is a reason most vehicles use a rack and pinion now days. more precision, better steering wheel feel, better power assist, smaller packaging, more reliable, etc.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    there is a reason most vehicles use a rack and pinion now days. more precision, better steering wheel feel, better power assist, smaller packaging, more reliable, etc.
    True, even trophy trucks use rack and pinion (though not one you'd ever be able to order through the local parts store). I was curious about this myself and took a very cursory look at the possibility of sticking a rack and pinion on the front frame horns (bit that the front skid bolts to at the bottom). The steering shaft should have no problem reaching, but would would obviously require a u-joint or CV to make the bend (CV would be better). This would also place the rack in front of the tire center line which is generally regarded as better from a performance stand point (OEMs use the firewall because it's less expensive, less linkage, less need for reinforcement when bolted to the firewall or a subframe). The alignment from the rack to the steering arms would also be very close front to back. Vertical alignment (and tie rod angle from the rack to steering arm) would have to be matched to the existing set-up or you'd get some degree of bump steer whenever the control arms moved. That would dictate the overall rack/pinion width (not including the tie rods, the housing itself or distance from inner to inner tie rod end) which would have to equal the distance from the pivot points between factory steering gear and idler arm. Would probably also have to verify that your existing pump wouldn't supply too much pressure (I don't think pressure would be an issue).

Try a Google Image Search for "rack and pinion kits"

UniSteer has a full line of bolt in rack and pinion upgrades for older american steel (worlds better than the steering muscle cars and trucks came with)

Unisteer can also custom build any size/length rack you want for just under $400

this one for '67-'68 Mustang from AeroForm looks like it could have some beef to it (note how the inner tie rod bolts to the middle of the rack)

Either of the above kits could be made to fit, though I'm not 100% sure how much effect mounting the inner tie rods closer to the vehicle center-line would have (would merit further investigation). The above kits aren't cheap (looks like $600 on up) but it looks like both use the same rack, so it might be cost effective to source the rack itself and build your own setup from there.

For inexpensive beef I think the 1st and 2nd gen steering has some merit, but it depends on what your intended use is.
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike
    Scuba, just curious why you feel this way. The R&P steering on my 3rd gen 4Runer is still tight. I had to replace idler arms frequently on my '87 and '94 trucks.

Leakage. Mine is starting to leak. Not as reliable as an older gear box IMHO. But, what do I know..

Like I said.. screw it. I'm cuttin that crap off.