Thread: Stereo Installation. Head unit & Speakers. (02 4Runner 3rd Gen)

Stereo Installation. Head unit & Speakers. (02 4Runner 3rd Gen)

I'm going to upgrade my 2002 4Runner with some new sound gear. All 6 speakers (back door, Front door and tweeters) and a new head unit. Most likely Polk speakers and a Sony or Alpine stereo.

Are there any good posts on installing the speakers? Same goes for the head unit. Is it as easy as taking the old parts out and just pugging in the new?

Bestbuy (geek squad) wants $280 bucks for the installation.

My plan is to order online from Crutchfield.

Thanks for the help. Can't wait to have an iPod hook up!!
    2002 4Runner SR5&nbsp; /&nbsp; 3.4V6&nbsp; /&nbsp; 4WD&nbsp; /&nbsp; 4-Speed Automatic&nbsp; /&nbsp; Sonoran Steel System 7.2 Lift Kit&nbsp; /&nbsp; BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 Tires&nbsp; 255/85/R16&nbsp; /&nbsp; Stubbs Welding Standard 1.5&quot; Rock Sliders&nbsp; / ARB Bumper / Safari Snorkel / BudBuilt Front Skid / PIAA 520 SMR 6&quot; Driving Lights /&nbsp; Deckplate Mod&nbsp; /&nbsp; K&amp;N Air Filter&nbsp; /&nbsp; OEM Bug Deflector&nbsp; /&nbsp; Husky Liners&nbsp; /&nbsp; Thule rack / Cobra 75 WX ST / Outdoor Logic Drifter Antenna Mount / Rugged Ridge Hawse Fairlead License Plate <br />Photos &amp; write-ups: http://frohbego.blogspot.com/

Re: Stereo Installation. Head unit & Speakers. (02 4Runner 3rd Gen)

do not have bestbuy install your kit! they will royally screw up the install.

if you order from crutchfield, you get detailed instructions on removing door panels, center stack, etc. it will likely come with all of the adapters you need to use the stock wiring, etc.

however, if you are a little more confident in your install abilities (sounds like you are not) http://www.sonicelectronix.com/ will be much cheaper on the parts.

as long as you order the same size speakers for the doors as is stock, the install is pretty straight forward. you will have to find a place for the front crossovers, but they can be glued or taped to the speaker mounting board.

it was 4 years ago nearly exactly i had mine installed by a friend, and i helped as much as i could. now i would not think twice about doing it myself.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

frohbego,

look on my website 4runners.org. i did much the same as you are thinking except I rewired the rear speakers NOT to be on.

bob

Navigator

i second seans testaments about Best Buy, they WILL screw it up, the only question is how badly.. lol

if you are not confident in your abilities to install it, go to a car dealer you trust, and ask around what stereo shop they have work on the car stereos. Usually thats a good way to find a reputable local shop (im lucky and have 2 in town).
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

If you haven't installed head units and speakers before, then Crutchfield is a good place to get your stuff from because you will get tech support along with your parts. They also have wiring harnesses, adapters and diagrams to help you through the process. There are cheaper places to get parts but if you don't have alot of experience, then Crutchfield is a good place to start.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

I ended up installing myself the Alpine CDE-103BT CD receiver w/ built in Bluetooth. It comes with a microphone for my iphone. Any writes ups on where to mouth and hide the wire for the mic?

I came across this -
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...placement.html
    (See "epa4wd" post)

Looks like he has it mounted in the control switch insert on the dash... can you buy a dash insert for this?

2002 4Runner SR5&nbsp; /&nbsp; 3.4V6&nbsp; /&nbsp; 4WD&nbsp; /&nbsp; 4-Speed Automatic&nbsp; /&nbsp; Sonoran Steel System 7.2 Lift Kit&nbsp; /&nbsp; BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 Tires&nbsp; 255/85/R16&nbsp; /&nbsp; Stubbs Welding Standard 1.5&quot; Rock Sliders&nbsp; / ARB Bumper / Safari Snorkel / BudBuilt Front Skid / PIAA 520 SMR 6&quot; Driving Lights /&nbsp; Deckplate Mod&nbsp; /&nbsp; K&amp;N Air Filter&nbsp; /&nbsp; OEM Bug Deflector&nbsp; /&nbsp; Husky Liners&nbsp; /&nbsp; Thule rack / Cobra 75 WX ST / Outdoor Logic Drifter Antenna Mount / Rugged Ridge Hawse Fairlead License Plate <br />Photos &amp; write-ups: http://frohbego.blogspot.com/

How about right on the top left corner of the Radio Bezel, this way your not having to take apart a ton of stuff to have to run the wire?

If its any consolation, Toyota puts there's where the one guy has it on his taco by the fog light switch and it works fine.

Your 02 should have a few blank covers in that area no? this way you could just drill a hole on one of those and mount it there as well.

thanks yotafun. yeah i'm thinking about doing the mount in one of the extra blank covers for the switches. anyone know that part number just in case i need to order a second one.