Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 315/75-16 Mickey Thompson MTZ's Installed

315/75-16 Mickey Thompson MTZ's Installed

the upper arm clears on the road, but at about 75% droop, it begins to complain a little. time for a trim...

to me, they look just perfect on there. like they were made for it. i love the way the fill out the wheel wells more than the 305's did.

also, they are SUPER QUIET - as in just as quiet as i remember my brand new 265 Nitto Terra Grapplers to be a few years back - yeah, they REALLY are quiet.

i only drove on surface streets home, at most at 45MPH or so, and i'm very impressed. i'll take it out on the interstate for a bit later. so far, the power difference is noticeable, but not bad at all. about like going from stock 265/70's to 265/75's. really, not THAT much difference from the 305's. i'm sure my mileage will go down a little, but at this point, i really don't care about that much anyway.

they are approx 1.75" taller than the half-worn 305's and only about 1.5" taller than brand new 305's.

these are approx 34.5" tall and goodyear says that the new 305's are 33" tall.

and ric, actually, the mt/r's were already 12.2" wide and these are supposed to be 12.4" wide. however, with the extra height, they rub the frame on a full turn, and they hit the upper arm more since the "fat" part of the tire is up higher (farther from the rim).

they make 305's look puny. definitely a noticeable difference...

305's

315's

so far, the 315's on 4.56's isn't bad at all. it's not NEAR as noticeable as it was going from stock 265's to 285's for sure. i don't know if it's because i'm already used to a slower, heavier runner or what...
    -andy

Re: 315/75-16 Mickey Thompson MTZ's Installed

those tires look awesome. a guy on our club forum with an 07 fj mounted the very same tires

here's his:

the side lugs look a lot like my trxus mt's
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

I love these tires I just have a quick question how loud are they on the road and what kind of life do they have (long or short)?

they are WAY quieter than the MTR's ever were. they're actually on par w/ most agressive AT's as far as noise is concerned.

as far as life goes, Mickey Thompson and the vendor that I bought them from said that 40K could be expected on something as light as a 4runner, so they should be just as good - if not better than - the MTR's on the wear.

i usually change mine at just below half of the available tread, and on the MTR's, that meant somewhere along the lines of 25k miles.
    -andy

I like those Andy...but unfortunately they have a hefty price tag also. Nice and aggressive with nice traction. Now go test em' out!
    Quote Originally Posted by fustercluck View Post
    I like sporking from behind.   

Thanks on the info Andy I know my BFG MT's aren't too loud so that's what I was hoping for with these thanks for the info.

i got these for a killer deal thru ebay. i got them for just a hair over $1000 shipped for 5. they're normally that much (or more) for 4.

the seller is a MT dealer, but they had been being undercut on eBay by a seller who was selling blems for $100/set cheaper. the legit seller got pissed and lowered his price to $10/tire over cost to undercut the blem seller while he worked with MT to figure out who it was and put a stop to them selling the tires as advertised as "first quality". i got the set of 5 so cheap that they said they made less than $20 on the deal after they had to pay the ebay and CC fees. i'll never get a deal like that again, and since i have a DD now, the runner should see less than 5k a year, meaning that these will be on here a long, LONG time.
    -andy

Those are some nice looking meaty tires!! Your right they look like they were just made for it!!!!

Last weekend I went wheeling with Keith and he has the Mickey Thompson MTZ's on his 2nd Gen and not that I think they performed any better than my BFG's did but they just look so much more aggressive than my BFG's do that I'm convinced these are going to be my next tires. Now to decide 305's or 315's??? Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by ADH8796
    Thanks on the info Andy I know my BFG MT's aren't too loud so that's what I was hoping for with these thanks for the info.
    I started out with the MFG M/T's...I was fairly new to the automotive world and did not care for them...they got loud as hell and didnt last too long. My MT/R's are wearing nice, but I rotate and balance often.

The 315's on your rig look AWESOME Bamachem!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast