Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Living Overland - A new blog dedicated to gourmet camp cooking

Living Overland - A new blog dedicated to gourmet camp cooking

We have some exciting news to share with everybody! We are changing our name to Living Overland. We will be transitioning to our new web address, www.livingoverland.com, over the weekend. Thanks to everybody's support over the last 18 months! As always, if you have ideas and topics you would like us to cover, be sure to let us know.

Also, be sure to follow us on facebook, Living Overland, and on twitter!

---------- Original Post ----------

I just wanted to quickly let everybody know about a new blog I created to act as a resource for individuals interested in creating simple gourmet meals when out on the trail.

www.livingoverland.com

I am an avid outdoorsman who enjoys hunting, fly fishing, camping, rockhounding, and just relaxing in wild places. I am also a self-proclaimed 'Foodie Camper', and love to cook and eat well when camping. In preparing for trips I began noticing a general lack of information regarding the topic and decided to take the plunge into the Blogosphere. I plan to use this blog to explore the idea of gourmet cooking in the outdoors and collaborate with others to further develop recipes, discuss equipment, techniques, and pre-trip preparation.

I want to make sure the average camper can prepare the recipes I discuss, so I won't be using elaborate equipment or gear. I am currently camping with a 1960's Coleman 2-burner liquid fuel stove, a small 10" non-stick skillet, a medium sized GSI Glacier Stainless Cookset, a stainless percolating coffee pot, and a Rubbermaid cooler.

I hope you enjoy!

You can also find our feeds updated on facebook, Living Overland
    Beau<br />Living Overland (coming soon!)<br />Gourmet Cooking&nbsp; *&nbsp; Travel&nbsp; *&nbsp; 4WD <br />Living Overland on Facebook<br /><br />Purchase a Foodie Sticker!<br /><br />&#39;98 4Runner SR5 5spd

Re: The Overland Gourmet - A new blog dedicated to gourmet camp cooking

Ingredients
    1 lb Petite Sirloin Steak
    4 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
    1 Bunch Green Onions
    5 Cloves Garlic
    1/4 Cup Fresh Ginger, finely diced (about 2-3 inches of ginger root)
    2/3 Cup Roasted/Unsalted Cashews
    1/2 Cup Water
    4 tsp Corn Starch
    2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
    2 tsp Sesame Oil
    2 tsp Oyster Sauce
    2 tsp Chinese Chili Sauce

Pre-Trip Preparation
    To save space, fill a small plastic container with enough vegetable oil for all of your cooking needs. Toss this into your dry food box. In a second small plastic container, combine Soy Sauce, Sesame Oil, Oyster Sauce, and Chili Sauce and toss container into the cooler. Finely chop the garlic and ginger and place in a third small plastic container. Put the Corn Starch in a 4th small container.

You can find the entire recipe on our website www.livingoverland.com
    Beau<br />Living Overland (coming soon!)<br />Gourmet Cooking&nbsp; *&nbsp; Travel&nbsp; *&nbsp; 4WD <br />Living Overland on Facebook<br /><br />Purchase a Foodie Sticker!<br /><br />&#39;98 4Runner SR5 5spd

bookmarked!!!

thank you so much, that is such a cool blog! i am really looking forward to trying out some of those recipes the next time we go camping.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Can Uncle Ben's Ready Rice be substituted for the real thing on the trail? We reviewed the product on the blog: Review of Uncle Ben's Ready Rice: Basmati

Most of the camping we do is dry or desert camping with no access to running water. Rice is one of those dishes requiring large amounts of water and fuel to prepare. These are the items we typically try to preserve while camping, so we normally leave the rice at home.

On a recent trip to the grocery store I discovered Uncle Ben's Ready Rice. Reviewing the cooking directions on the back of the pouch made me think about possibly using the rice for camping. The ready rice can be cooked in a skillet with minimal water and fuel use. One pouch offers two servings of rice, and multiple pouches can be stored in our dry food box very easily.

Skillet Cooking directions listed on the back of the pouch:

Gently squeeze the sides of the pouch to break apart the rice and pour contents into a skillet.
    Add 2 Tbsp. of water and heat.
    Stir rice occasionally until heated thoroughly.
    Serve immediately.

You can find the entire review on our website www.livingoverland.com

The beauty of this dish is it can be served warm or cold. We will often prepare everything prior to a trip and toss the dish in a reusable plastic container in the cooler and serve it chilled on the trail. Conversely, you can serve the dish warm by preparing everything, except cooking the couscous, at home and toss it together on the trail.

Israeli couscous, known other places in the world as ptitim, is a large pearl shaped pasta made from wheat and can be found in the ethnic sections of larger grocery stores. Israeli couscous should not be confused with standard couscous, which is much smaller in size. We purchased our Israeli couscous from our local organic foods co-op.

Ingredients
    • 2 pt red grape or cherry tomatoes (1 1/2 lb)
    • 4 large garlic cloves, left unpeeled
    • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    • 1/4 cup warm water
    • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    • 2 3/4 cups chicken broth
    • 2 1/4 cups Israeli couscous
    • 1 tablespoon olive oil
    • 3/4 cup Kalamata or other brine-cured black olives, pitted and chopped
    • 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
    • 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
    • 1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme

Serves 6

You can find the entire review on our website www.livingoverland.com

Late summer is a great time to explore Idaho. We headed up to the Little Wood River valley to the Muldoon Mine to take in the views and a little bit of Idaho's mining history. The Muldoon Mine was in operation during the end of the 19th century through the beginning of the 20th. Lead was discovered in Idaho's Central Mountains near the town of Ketchum in the mid 1800's and the area quickly blossomed into thriving a mining community bringing with it electricity, in a time when Hailey and Boise were still without.

Although much of the townsite has vanished, remnants of the charcoal kilns, mining tailings, and an old cabin still remain. We spent time exploring the kilns which produced charcoal used in the smelter to produce lead bullion.

Easy French Toast

Ingredients

3 Tbsp vegetable oil
    6 slices of white bread
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup milk
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

Serves 3

It can be difficult to decide on the gear we take camping, and tableware is no exception. There are a multitude of materials and styles to choose from. We feel the GSI Outdoors' Cascadian 12 piece tableware set provides a balance of functionality and practicality for the camper on a budget.

Included in the set:

• 4 plates
    • 4 bowls
    • 4 mugs
    • 1 mesh carrying bag

Cascadian Tableware Set by GSI Outdoors
    Photo courtesy of GSI Outdoors

Our Thoughts

The Cascadian tableware set offers several features we find essential when camping. The 12 piece set is inexpensive, we picked ours up from a local sporting goods store for around $25. We think the polypropylene is a great choice in materials. With a combined weight of 26.5 ounces, the set is nearly one-third the weight of GSI Outdoors' comparable enamelware set. We didn't feel the reduced weight compromised the rigidity of the set as we piled our plates high with food.

You can find our entire review on our website [www.livingoverland.com

Winter may seem like a strange time to discuss the ice we use for our summer camping trips. However, it is the time of year we visit our local coffee shop on our way to play in the snow. Starbucks Coffee Travelers have become a popular way of transporting Starbucks Coffee to winter activities. We discovered, on ExpeditionPortal.com, a great way to reuse those old Coffee Travelers as water and ice bladders while camping.

We started by disassembling the cardboard surrounding the internal Mylar bladder. Care must be taken when removing the bladder as it is glued to the cardboard. After a quick rinse the bladder is ready for use.

You can find the entire post on our website www.livingoverland.com

There is something about the smell of vanilla and cinnamon on a cold and wet winter day that brightens my spirit. The aroma of this dish will bring folks from far and wide, so you had better make extra!

Ingredients

•1-1/2 cups red wine (Merlot, Pinot Noir)
    •2 Tbsp lemon juice
    •3/4 cup sugar
    •1 stick of cinnamon (or ½ tsp ground cinnamon)
    •1/2 vanilla bean
    •2 large firm, ripe pears; halved & cored

Serves 2

Bookmarked as well. I've seen your stuff on Expo. My daughter will be 2 this coming year so we might have hopes of actually cooking at camp this summer and look forward to trying your recipes.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast