Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Living Overland - A new blog dedicated to gourmet camp cooking

Re: The Overland Gourmet - A new blog dedicated to gourmet camp cooking

thank you for the posts!

I look forward to more recipes and also some fly fishing tips. Where are you located?
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    I look forward to more recipes and also some fly fishing tips. Where are you located?
    I am in Pocatello, ID and have access to some of the country's best streams!

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162
    thank you for the posts!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    Bookmarked as well. I've seen your stuff on Expo. My daughter will be 2 this coming year so we might have hopes of actually cooking at camp this summer and look forward to trying your recipes.
    I hope you guys enjoy! Camping with your daughter will be a blast! Let me know if there are any topics you guys would like me to cover.
    Beau<br />Living Overland (coming soon!)<br />Gourmet Cooking&nbsp; *&nbsp; Travel&nbsp; *&nbsp; 4WD <br />Living Overland on Facebook<br /><br />Purchase a Foodie Sticker!<br /><br />&#39;98 4Runner SR5 5spd

Great blog! Looks like some really good recipes!

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishexpert
    I am in Pocatello, ID and have access to some of the country's best streams!
    Well cool! I've been to Pocatello....cool area!
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Awesome stuff! Bookmarked it as well! I've been camping/cooking since I was a kid but most of it is high fat tastey stuff. This year my wife and I have committed to getting fit, so I need to learn to cook healthier stuff in the field. This will be great!
    My signature

beau,

we have used vacuum sealing to bring cooked and uncooked food for camping meals. what's your thoughts on this? of course, it would require that you have a sealing system, but would you consider doing so in order to save yourself time? i looked at your rice example (takes lots of water) and thought that by cooking and sealing rice at home, you would save water on the trails

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162
    thank you for the posts!
    Like you'll ever use any of the recipes? Oh wait.. you'll just tell me to prepare some of these delicious looking dishes...

"Get in the kitchen and make me a sammich, woman." No, wait. I want some sloppy joes....
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5
    beau,

we have used vacuum sealing to bring cooked and uncooked food for camping meals. what's your thoughts on this? of course, it would require that you have a sealing system, but would you consider doing so in order to save yourself time? i looked at your rice example (takes lots of water) and thought that by cooking and sealing rice at home, you would save water on the trails
    Great comment! We too use a vacuum sealer, quite often actually. We vacuum seal vegetables and meats for long-term storage. I am planning on discussing some vacuum sealing applications for camp cooking this year, so your thoughts are welcome!

I believe the more preparation you can do at home prior to departure, the better. If you look at my recipe for Pork Fried Rice, you will see I pre-cooked our rice at home and then stored it in a plastic container. I used a plastic container, in this case, because not everybody has access to a vacuum sealer, but it would be the perfect application.
    http://www.theoverlandgourmet.com/20...ried-rice.html

There is a down side to this though, and that is cooler space. You will want to keep all of your cooked ingredients stored in your cooler. For long trips, this would require lots of cooler space. This would be a situation where lots of planning would be useful to determine how much pre-cooked ingredients you can get away with.
    Beau<br />Living Overland (coming soon!)<br />Gourmet Cooking&nbsp; *&nbsp; Travel&nbsp; *&nbsp; 4WD <br />Living Overland on Facebook<br /><br />Purchase a Foodie Sticker!<br /><br />&#39;98 4Runner SR5 5spd

Awesome blog!

What is your experience with dehydrating foods? I've made up many dehydrated foods (spaghetti, chili, rice, veggies, etc.) for long-term food supplies to reduce the need for coolers and/or refrigerators and I've been fairly pleased with the results.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Either we have found the perfect addition to our kit at a garage sale or our trusty pieces just needs to be cleaned to remove the evidence of years of use, there comes a point in time when we need to breath some life into an old piece of camping cookware.

Our coffee pot in use
    We love to use our old percolating coffee pot to boil water when camping, and there is no better way of doing it than right on the fire. After years of neglect, it was time to breath some life back into it and bring it back to it's original luster. For this project, we used Bar Keepers Friend to remove the accumulated soot and tar buildup.

You can find the entire technique on our website www.TheOverlandGourmet.com or by clicking here.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast