Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Living Overland - A new blog dedicated to gourmet camp cooking

Re: The Overland Gourmet - A new blog dedicated to gourmet camp cooking

Nice! I have two of those that I use. One is my dad's that he bought used at a garage sale and looks pretty much like the one in your pic and then just recently, I bought another one that is smaller that I use when it's just me and one of the kids camping. Love my percolators!
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by oly884
    What is your experience with dehydrating foods? I've made up many dehydrated foods (spaghetti, chili, rice, veggies, etc.) for long-term food supplies to reduce the need for coolers and/or refrigerators and I've been fairly pleased with the results.
    We primarily dry camp and have limited access to water, so the rehydrating of foods would consume more water than I would care to bring along.

Having said that, we do dehydrate fruits and make fruit leather for use when we travel, and we have used dehydrated tomatoes in our recipes. You can toss a handful of dehydrated cherry tomatoes into pasta water to help soften them up before serving.

Our dehydrated cherry tomatoes

This is a topic I would like to explore more this year, so any thoughts on the subject are welcome!
    Beau<br />Living Overland (coming soon!)<br />Gourmet Cooking&nbsp; *&nbsp; Travel&nbsp; *&nbsp; 4WD <br />Living Overland on Facebook<br /><br />Purchase a Foodie Sticker!<br /><br />&#39;98 4Runner SR5 5spd

Ingredients:
    • 1/2 pound campanelle pasta
    • 1 tablespoons unsalted butter
    • 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    • 2 large shallots , chopped fine (about 1 cup)
    • 2 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 tablespoon)
    • 5 ounces shiitake mushrooms , stems discarded, caps wiped clean and sliced 1/4 inch thick
    • 5 ounces cremini mushrooms , wiped clean and sliced 1/4 inch thick
    • 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves , plus 1 additional teaspoon
    • 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    • 1/4 cup heavy cream
    • 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    • Ground black pepper
    • 1 ounce grated Parmesan cheese (1/1 cup)
    • 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves

Serves 2

Pre-Trip Preparations
    To save on preparation time when on the trail, chop the shallots, mince the garlic, slice the mushrooms, and grate the cheese at home and place in individual containers. If the meal will be prepared a couple of days into a trip, the shallots and mushrooms will keep longer in a cooler when uncut. To reach a creamy consistency, finely grate fresh Parmesan cheese to make it easier to melt. Measure out the pasta and liquid ingredients and place in plastic storage containers as well.

You can find the entire recipe on our website www.TheOverlandGourmet.com or by clicking here.
    Beau<br />Living Overland (coming soon!)<br />Gourmet Cooking&nbsp; *&nbsp; Travel&nbsp; *&nbsp; 4WD <br />Living Overland on Facebook<br /><br />Purchase a Foodie Sticker!<br /><br />&#39;98 4Runner SR5 5spd

I've been reading more of your blog posts and I got to say that I love it! Great job!

I would love it if you guys posted some tips/how to's/techniques on how you clean up after the meal. This can be a pain sometimes because of lack of water (or not very much water).
    My signature

Can the material our wineglasses are made out of add unwanted flavors to our favorite Sauvignon Blanc? We set out to set out to see if there was a difference contacting GSI Outdoors and having them send us two of their plastic (co-polyester) and two stainless steel stemless wineglasses.

The Test
    We headed down to Marigolds Wine and Delicacies for their weekly 5 for $5 wine tasting event with our GSI Outdoors wineglasses in hand. Both of us would sample each wine out of a traditional glass wineglass, to be used as our 'control point', and then out of both the stainless steel and plastic stemless wineglasses. We compared how flavor of each wine was affected by the materials, and how they compared against our glass control point. Between each test we ate a cracker or two and took a sip of water to cleanse our palate. The following wines included in this test:
    Red Heads Studios Yard Dog White
    Walnut Block Wines Collectibles Sauvignon Blanc
    Pillar Box Red
    Red Heads Studios Yard Dog Red
    Morse Code Pathway Shiraz

You can find our entire review on our website www.TheOverlandGourmet.com or clicking this link.

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    I would love it if you guys posted some tips/how to's/techniques on how you clean up after the meal. This can be a pain sometimes because of lack of water (or not very much water).
    Sure can, in fact I have been working compiling photos for this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    I've been reading more of your blog posts and I got to say that I love it! Great job!

A drop of soap and some sand, or some fine dirt in a towel make a cheap and easy cleaner..just add some water drops to moisten and polish away. Used that trick for years on our cast iron, kettle, bialetti, and paul revere camp pans and pots.

Don't let the cold of winter deter you from enjoying the great outdoors! We spent New Years snowshoeing into one of the U.S. Forest Service cabins located in Southeast Idaho. The temperatures dipped to -15F at night, but we stayed nice and warm inside thanks to the cabin's propane heater. One of the benefits of winter camping is...Ice Cream! The benefit of camping with ice cream is wowing your friends by igniting a pan of Bananas Foster!

Ingredients
    •3 Bananas
    •2 tablespoons banana liqueur
    •2 tablespoons rum
    •1/2 cup brown sugar
    •1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    •2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    Serves 2

Pre-Trip Preparation

Preparation for this dish is quite simple. Measure out the liquid ingredients into reusable plastic containers and set aside. Next measure out the required amount of brown sugar and cinnamon, placing them together in a zipper bag. The liquid and dry ingredients can be stored in your 'dry food' box. Finally, place the required amount of butter into a reusable plastic container and place in the cooler.

You can find the entire recipe on our website www.TheOverlandGourmet.com or by clicking http://www.theoverlandgourmet.com/2011/02/bananas-foster.html"]here. [/URL]

Cool. I miss being able to do the "Poof" out here now that the Dept of Forestry and BLM frown on that sort of thing.

Next time try substituting in Mrs.Butterworth's syrup and some raspberry schnapps (keep the banana's in) or some sliced apples with simple syrup and apple schnapps then some cinnamon sprinkled on afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBorn
    Next time try substituting in Mrs.Butterworth's syrup and some raspberry schnapps (keep the banana's in) or some sliced apples with simple syrup and apple schnapps then some cinnamon sprinkled on afterwards.
    Wonderful variations!

You can also serve this over French Toast, when it is too warm to try and keep ice cream.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast