Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Living Overland - A new blog dedicated to gourmet camp cooking

Re: The Overland Gourmet - A new blog dedicated to gourmet camp cooking

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishexpert

Wonderful variations!

You can also serve this over French Toast, when it is too warm to try and keep ice cream.
    I really should redo my Campfire Cooking Posts..IIRC the Fried Chicken and CornBread Waffles and FishTacosFTW should still be in here somewhere. The apple 'especial idea came from my FrenchToast recipe. I also have one for simple Pie Crust cookies laying around here waiting to be written down. I was a baker/chef in a former life.

I almost forgot, you can also go with some coconut shavings and some Kahlua..you'll need some rum or bacardi for the "poof" and "kick" part though..I forget the exact amounts but IIRC it's 3 jiggers of Kahlua to one pony of Bacardi per given serving.

Chicken Scampi

It has been a while since I have posted a recipe on the website, due to travel and professional exams, so here you go!

Ingredients
    • 1.25lb chicken breast cut into 3/8" thick pieces
    • 2-1/4 Tbsp vegetable oil
    • 1/2 cup Parmesan
    • 1/2 tsp pepper
    • 2 Tbsp fresh parsley
    • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
    • 1/2 tsp salt
    • 2 tsp oregano
    • 6 Tbsp lemon juice
    • 4 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
    • 1/2 cup white wine

Cooking Instructions
    In a zipper bag combine all ingredients, reserving 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, and marinate for up to 4 hours. Cook chicken and sauce over high heat until chicken is cooked through. Serve over your favorite rice and garnish with the remaining parsley.

Cooking near Fishing Bridge Yellowstone NP
    Beau<br />Living Overland (coming soon!)<br />Gourmet Cooking&nbsp; *&nbsp; Travel&nbsp; *&nbsp; 4WD <br />Living Overland on Facebook<br /><br />Purchase a Foodie Sticker!<br /><br />&#39;98 4Runner SR5 5spd

that looks delicious! I'm going.to try that at home! thanks for the post.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I'm curious on the scampi why the switch from vermouth with the olive oil and butter? Did you do that because of the consistency and texture of the chicken?

Reminds me, I have a great Shepherd's/Cabin Pie Recipe to share! It's one of those "First Night Under the Stars" ones though because you reheat it, but as anyone knows this is one of those dishes that actually get better once it's set up for a day in the fridge. It can also be adapted to a dutch oven if you're fine with some frypan cleanup.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBorn
    I'm curious on the scampi why the switch from vermouth with the olive oil and butter? Did you do that because of the consistency and texture of the chicken?
    Actually, I have never really liked the flavor of the traditional scampi, even if done right. I by far enjoy the flavor of this recipe, I think the tanginess of the Worcestershire Sauce/Lemon Juice/white wine is a great combination with the Parmesan.
    Beau<br />Living Overland (coming soon!)<br />Gourmet Cooking&nbsp; *&nbsp; Travel&nbsp; *&nbsp; 4WD <br />Living Overland on Facebook<br /><br />Purchase a Foodie Sticker!<br /><br />&#39;98 4Runner SR5 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBorn
    Actually, I have never really liked the flavor of the traditional scampi, even if done right. I by far enjoy the flavor of this recipe, I think the tanginess of the Worcestershire Sauce/Lemon Juice/white wine is a great combination with the Parmesan.
    I tried this last night with the minor substitution of replacing the white wine with a home-brewed IPA.

Well done sir, it was an amazing treat. Threw it on some brown rice.

Definitely going to make this for my camping trips!
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Can Uncle Ben's Ready Rice be substituted for the real thing on the trail? We reviewed the product on the blog: Review of Uncle Ben's Ready Rice: Basmati

Most of the camping we do is dry or desert camping with no access to running water. Rice is one of those dishes requiring large amounts of water and fuel to prepare. These are the items we typically try to preserve while camping, so we normally leave the rice at home.

On a recent trip to the grocery store I discovered Uncle Ben's Ready Rice. Reviewing the cooking directions on the back of the pouch made me think about possibly using the rice for camping. The ready rice can be cooked in a skillet with minimal water and fuel use. One pouch offers two servings of rice, and multiple pouches can be stored in our dry food box very easily.

Just saw this and wanted to comment.

I've loved that stuff and taken those rice packs camping all the time. My main gripe with them has always been the insane amount of sodium they put in it. I'm healthy, but I just can't believe how much sodium is in everything we eat. As a result I've been cutting down on anything packed with sodium.

If you have a safeway near you, get this stuff:

It has zero to VERY little sodium in it, they still last a long time, and they taste great. They also have a few different kinds. I've noticed no difference between this stuff and the Uncle Ben's stuff in terms of taste or cooking.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Thanks Oly! I will give the Safeway rice a try.

Review of VinniBag

Whether you are taking a bottle of your favorite balsamic vinegar with you to camp or are returning from a trip to California's Sonoma Valley with a bottle of your favorite Syrah it is important to protect them from being damaged during transport. We were once forced to wrap our bottles in an extra T-shirt or bubble wrap, place them in our chuck box or luggage and hope they made the journey undamaged. No matter how well we packed, there was always the possibility of a bottle breaking and leaking onto and damaging or ruining the the items around it.

Specifications

We no longer have to worry about bottles breaking and leaking with our VinniBag. Retailing for $28, the VinniBag is designed to securely hold a standard 750ml wine bottle but can be used for a multitude of fragile items. Instructions are printed on the bag and are clear and easy to follow. Bottles are inserted into the bag, the bottom is rolled up and secured, and the air chambers are inflated.

The air chambers provide a thick cushion around the wine bottle, protecting it from the abuse of airline travel, while the dry bag like seal keeps the contents of a broken bottle in the bag and not on your clothing.

To read more or our thoughts on VinniBag, visit our website at www.theoverlandgourmet.com, or by clicking http://www.theoverlandgourmet.com/2011/06/review-of-vinnibag.html"]here.[/URL]

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast