Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3rd gen tailgate woes

Re: 3rd gen tailgate woes

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain
    Mike,
    If you ever figure out the problem DO POST UP the solution. My window stopped working this past summer as did the wiper and I've noticed the defrost doesn't work anymore either. Then the other day my newish battery was dead. After some investigating I found that my license plate lights turn ON when I turn the truck off every now and then. Weird? I couldn't figure that one out so I removed the bulbs so I didn't run the battery down again.
    Obviously the hatches takes a lot of shock/abuse from bumps and shutting it, but this is killing me. I've gone as far as replacing the whole window assembly but still no solution. The computer box looking thing makes a clicking noise when I hit the window switch so I know signal is getting back there. I've also replace that box. Sometimes the defrost button lights up when I turn the truck off too???.
    Anyway, I'm at a loss on this. PLEASE HELP anyone.
    You need to look for this connection (the one with the purple ends) and the switch (little mint green box). I'm thinking the switch needs to be replaced, it's the window limit switch. The back door ecu thinks the window is open or non existent therefore not allowing the use of the wiper, washer, etc. Of course check the switch before actually replacing it.

Navigator

thats an interesting face your making in this pic Mike
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

That's my O-face.

I was wondering if anyone would notice. I was just trying to fog things up.

Hmm..with that thing just being glued on there with two leads it's amazing it didn't catch on something conductive at some point if you were to be playing with the switch and short everything out or worse. This needs to be put into a FAQ so that if you're the type to use the rear window a lot (I know I do on my '95) you should at some point inspect things and do preventative maintenance and add some additional glue to prevent this from happening.

I.O.W. Chaplain, you might have a dead short and potential fire problem going on.

The super glue might not do much if it gets caught. I'm thinking zip tying it to the adjacent wires might be better, although it one get's caught they both get caught

I was walking at lunch yesterday and came across a glass guy replacing a window in a car and picked his brain. He said that when he replaces a window like the rear 4runner glass he solders the contacts back on. I didn't think about this because from the factory it's got some kind of globbed on glue. My globbed on glue isn't working as the defroster no longer works. I think I'm going to have to get in there with a dremel, clean things up, and then try my luck with soldering it.

He asked what happened and I told him I didn't know. He thinks it got caught on something but we both agreed that would have been hard to do. There are a lot of components in the rear hatch but the window has plenty of room to travel in there. Who knows.

termites

woodchucks.

i know they dont chuck wood, so maybe they chuck defroster attachment points.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    woodchucks.

i know they dont chuck wood, so maybe they chuck defroster attachment points.

That's not what I heard......

Woodchucks - GEICO Commercial
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

i was waiting for someone to post that!!!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain
    Mike,
    If you ever figure out the problem DO POST UP the solution. My window stopped working this past summer as did the wiper and I've noticed the defrost doesn't work anymore either. Then the other day my newish battery was dead. After some investigating I found that my license plate lights turn ON when I turn the truck off every now and then. Weird? I couldn't figure that one out so I removed the bulbs so I didn't run the battery down again.
    Obviously the hatches takes a lot of shock/abuse from bumps and shutting it, but this is killing me. I've gone as far as replacing the whole window assembly but still no solution. The computer box looking thing makes a clicking noise when I hit the window switch so I know signal is getting back there. I've also replace that box. Sometimes the defrost button lights up when I turn the truck off too???.
    Anyway, I'm at a loss on this. PLEASE HELP anyone.
    You need to look for this connection (the one with the purple ends) and the switch (little mint green box). I'm thinking the switch needs to be replaced, it's the window limit switch. The back door ecu thinks the window is open or non existent therefore not allowing the use of the wiper, washer, etc. Of course check the switch before actually replacing it.
    Is there a way to just bypass that switch to make the computer think everything is ok? Id actually like to bypass the computer all together if possible.
    God speed,<br />Steve Hanson<br />Racers For Christ<br />Rockcrawlers For Christ<br />www.teamrfc.org<br />--------------------<br />special thanks: bfgoodrich|trail gear|cbi fabrication|total chaos|arb|sway-a-way|aem electronics|lucas oil|trd|baja racks|bassani exhaust|spidertrax

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast