Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driveshaft Lube: (Paging Bob_98SR5*) NGLI 2 or MP vs. Marine?

Driveshaft Lube: (Paging Bob_98SR5*) NGLI 2 or MP vs. Marine?

*Other members feel free to chime in if desired.

re: http://www.4runners.org/writeups/zerk/index.html

I pretty much run the MP Blue all the time, marine when I am in the winter, never had a problem, until tonight..

I just ran out and am going shopping @ Wally-World since I have a gift card form them.

I'm wondering what type you all like since at this point I plan on running Marine Grade again as it lasts longer in the winter with all the rain, dirt, mud, and salted road crap the 4Runner sees.

Any disagreements here, and why if so?

Re: Driveshaft Lube: (Paging Bob_98SR5*) NGLI 2 or MP vs. Marine?

I run some thick red grease from Napa. It's not marine but even with winter it's not going anywhere. For the most part the driveshaft stays dry unless you dunk it.

I'll have to keep an eye on this thread... I bought a grease gun at Home Depot today.. and they only grease they had was a 3pack that had 1x Lucas Red N Tacky, and 1x Maringe, and one other. I figured the Red N Tacky would be what I'd use, but wasn't sure so I didn't buy it! http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=46&catid=14&loc=show&headT itle=%20-%20Red%20'N'%20Tacky%20Grease

nothing to add really other then i found mobile 1 grease seperates too much. literaly a puddle of red oil under my grease gun constantly. im running what ever green marine grease vato-zone had the day i finished the mobile 1.

norcal,

i really dont have a preference, just stuck with synthetics and it did not give me any problems.

bob

I've been using Steelco Red Crown 488-1 for the last five years. I've recommended it to hundreds of dealer techs, but it can be tough to find in some places. I especially used it to cure "driveshaft bump" - come to a quick stop where the rear suspension raises (extending the slip yoke a bit), and when you pull out you'll feel a slight bump in the seat of your pants from the slip yoke binding just before it recompresses.

Good tacky stuff, and a pain to clean off your skin. Smear some between your fingers and you'll see stringy hairs of grease when you pull you fingers apart.
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

I use whatever Autozone sells in a cheap 3 pack of tubes to fit in my grease gun. Its Moly, I think. But its never given me a problem at all.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I'd use NLGI #2 LB or GC-LB with Moly for any high pressure / low speed joints (tie rods, ball joints, etc).
    I'd use NLGI #2 LB or GC-LB (lithium based, no moly) for high speed joints (double cardan , u-joints, yoke splines, etc)
    I only use wheel bearing grease for.....you guessed it......wheel bearings.

The moly is really only needed if you run the bearings dry so just keep up to date with your maintenance. If you grease too much with moly, it can build up in the bearings as the oil/base evaporates and can eventually damage the bearing surfaces (moly is a much harder metal than lithium). So basically if you're not good at doing regular maintenance, then go with a good quality synthetic NGLI #2 Lithium-based Moly fortified grease (like Amsoil, Valvoline, etc) for everything.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

thanks for the info my northern amigo

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    ..I especially used it to cure "driveshaft bump" - come to a quick stop where the rear suspension raises (extending the slip yoke a bit), and when you pull out you'll feel a slight bump in the seat of your pants from the slip yoke binding just before it recompresses.

Good tacky stuff, and a pain to clean off your skin. Smear some between your fingers and you'll see stringy hairs of grease when you pull you fingers apart.
    Hmmm, who told you that's why I realized I'd forgotten to winterize mine after a hot Summer and Fall? (Like the black pinstriping all over the undercarriage wasn't tell-tale enough?)

FWIW I ended up just grabbing another 3 pack of the mini sized marine grade stuff, NGLI 2, it's that semi clear yellowish stuff like I've used in the past.

Took about 10 squirts in the u-joints and over 15 in the rear slip yoke.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast