Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Driveshaft Lube: (Paging Bob_98SR5*) NGLI 2 or MP vs. Marine?

Re: Driveshaft Lube: (Paging Bob_98SR5*) NGLI 2 or MP vs. Marine?

I was surprised how much grease mine took up. I wanted to purge a lot of the old stuff but hell. After pumping I spent close to 30 minutes cleaning all the old grease off the joints. Even after all of that it was still getting on the exhaust and muffler and stinking up the place. It's all good now but now half my under carriage is waterproofed.

The slip yoke only really needs one or two pumps, any more and you just start filling the cavity up. Too much (and when the driveshaft compresses) the grease gets pushed through the vent holes to either get flung onto the undercarriage or fill the main tube of your driveshaft.

The reason why you don't need to fill the cavity is that as the driveshaft spins, the grease evens out and gets "pushed" against the inner diameter of the female slip yoke. With nowhere else to go and centripetal force pushing it to go somewhere, it then gets pressed into the slip yoke splines.

Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Yeah, I made sure I didn't fill it as I've been down that road before.

I use Lucas Oil in my 4Runner and have been very happy with the Red n' Tacky
    God speed,<br />Steve Hanson<br />Racers For Christ<br />Rockcrawlers For Christ<br />www.teamrfc.org<br />--------------------<br />special thanks: bfgoodrich|trail gear|cbi fabrication|total chaos|arb|sway-a-way|aem electronics|lucas oil|trd|baja racks|bassani exhaust|spidertrax

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12