Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: California Emissions for 90 4runner from Texas

California Emissions for 90 4runner from Texas

Hey guys,

I've got a 1990 4runner V6 (never a california vehicle). I am planning on moving to San Luis Obispo, and am worried that my 4runner won't pass emissions. Any info would be helpful... like how many catalytic converters and oxygen sensors you guys in california have. And if older 4runners typically have problems with emissions. And if so, any tricks or suggestions to be able to pass...
    1990 v6 4runner
    Engine: Chevy 4.3 Vortec/Edelbrock Performer Intake & Carburetor
    Front: Trail Gear 3in. Lift Leafs / Bilstein Shocks / ARB Air Locker
    Rear: Chevy 63in. Leafs / 3in. blocks / OME Shocks / ARB Air Locker
    Tires: 35 x 12.50 x 15

Navigator

Re: California Emissions for 90 4runner from Texas

are u already in california? if so go talk to a referee station and they will tell u everything u need to do
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

No, it's gonna be 2-3 months, and I was going to try and fix anything that needs to be done before the move.
    1990 v6 4runner

Navigator

read over this website
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm

its the official how to by the dmv
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

I've never had a problem with mine passing smog. They also do an under hood inspection to make sure you haven't messed with anything. The guy even told me my electric fan conversion with the temp sensor sticking into the radiator fins wasn't legal but he passed me anyway.

And then he asked me what this odd looking contraption in the engine compartment was for...the one that said "ARB Air Compressor" right on top.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by gabe
    Hey guys,

I've got a 1990 4runner V6 (never a california vehicle). I am planning on moving to San Luis Obispo, and am worried that my 4runner won't pass emissions. Any info would be helpful... like how many catalytic converters and oxygen sensors you guys in california have. And if older 4runners typically have problems with emissions. And if so, any tricks or suggestions to be able to pass...
    The good thing for this county is that you more than likely won't have to go to a "test only" location which is where they do the whole visual inspection like Robinhood was talking about. You may want to get a new gas cap since they test those now. My ford failed because of the gas cap but luckily it was on the pretest so it wasn't as costly as failing the real test.

I would definitely pay for the pretest, so that if you fail on something bad, it won't pop as a gross poluter.

Where in SLO are you moving to?
    My signature

That's right, where I was living in the bay area was the "enhanced area"
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    The good thing for this county is that you more than likely won't have to go to a "test only" location which is where they do the whole visual inspection like Robinhood was talking about. You may want to get a new gas cap since they test those now. My ford failed because of the gas cap but luckily it was on the pretest so it wasn't as costly as failing the real test.

I would definitely pay for the pretest, so that if you fail on something bad, it won't pop as a gross poluter.

Where in SLO are you moving to?
    We don't have a place picked out yet, but we are considering everything within 10-15 mins drive from SLO (Town, not County). My wife would rather be within SLO city limits though. It just costs more. We are definitely looking forward to moving though. Our kids are going to be starting school soon and we want to be somewhere permanent by the time they start. So this move is a BIG decision for us.

And thanks for the info guys...
    1990 v6 4runner

Yeah, we used to live downtown SLO which was awesome, but then we started a family and moved to off of Foothill at the base of Bishop Peak. Now we are in Los Osos because it was much cheaper rent and we needed more room.

In regards to the original question, when I brought my van from CO (I don't know if it is a CA emmissions vehicle or not), all I had to do was to just go get a regular smog. It didn't get the whole visual smog inspection. DMV gave it a small visual inspection when I registered it, but it was more of a safety inspection (lights, turn signals, seatbelts, etc..).
    My signature

My wife lived on Patricia Ct. and went to Bishop's Peak Elementary growing up... and we love that area, but Los Osos is cool also. I'd like to be closer to the water too. Thanks for the info...

1990 v6 4runner

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast