Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: California Emissions for 90 4runner from Texas

Navigator

Re: California Emissions for 90 4runner from Texas

Chris, was your van from the Denver area? It may have been passed because the "high altitude" emissions package that they put on cars in the mountain regions of Colorado is exactly the same as CA emissions..
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

As far as I know, if your vehicle didn't come stock with CA emissions equipment, then it shouldn't make it fail (of course your vin number will prove whether it did or not). However, I do believe it still has to pass the actual test that we are all subject to.

Kevin, I'm not sure where it originally came from. I just meant that I wasn't subjected to a "test only" place w/ visual inspection. In fact there's a note on my test where he wrote that the charcoal canister is too hard to get to to inspect it.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    I just meant that I wasn't subjected to a "test only" place w/ visual inspection. In fact there's a note on my test where he wrote that the charcoal canister is too hard to get to to inspect it.
    I'm going to have to make sure I go to this guy when we get there....
    1990 v6 4runner
    Engine: Chevy 4.3 Vortec/Edelbrock Performer Intake & Carburetor
    Front: Trail Gear 3in. Lift Leafs / Bilstein Shocks / ARB Air Locker
    Rear: Chevy 63in. Leafs / 3in. blocks / OME Shocks / ARB Air Locker
    Tires: 35 x 12.50 x 15

Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by gabe
    I just meant that I wasn't subjected to a "test only" place w/ visual inspection. In fact there's a note on my test where he wrote that the charcoal canister is too hard to get to to inspect it.
    cept the charcoal canister on our 4runners is way easy to get to... have you ever actually tried to work on a 80's toyota van? it takes forever to do anything :P

(quote fail >.<)
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

when i bought a 4runner from colorado it passed smog and the visual for ca so long as it has the factory equipment ie converter sensors egr canister and that stuff
    1988 4runner hybrid 44/60 front axle dual inchworms 12bolt rear<br />1972 jimmy 425hp and smog examt<br />95 range rover

Quote Originally Posted by gabe
    Well, I'm here now! We are living in Santa Margarita. We've been here about 3 weeks. I got my truck pre inspected and passed emmissions but they did the visual inspection and said I was missing some intake parts. Truck was running great, 3 days later, blew a head gasket! Also, got our chrysler mini van inspected, running great, 5 days later threw a rod! I'm just taking this as major coincidence. Maybe it has to do with going up the grade, and putting a lot of stress on our vehicles. We were use to flat ground most of the time.

Anyways, we're having a shop in SLO put a rebuilt engine in the van. And I'm going to change the head gaskets. Any advice on a quality gasket kit would be greatly appreciated. And also any advice on things to upgrade or swap out while I'm getting this deep into the engine.
    1990 v6 4runner

Oh ya,

-SLOSurfer-
    where is this place that you got your smog done?
    1990 v6 4runner

I don't remember the name of the place I originally took the van to, but I highly recommend Todd's Garagein Morro Bay. I've been taking my vehicles (4 of them) there for years now. One of their employees has been coming to the Pismo Jamboree the past couple years too. Tell them Chris with the 4runner, 4wd van, and runs the carwash up the street sent you.

Are you missing intake parts because you have an aftermarket intake, or because you have a non Cali emissions model? I don't think they can make you add parts if it wasn't oem to your vehicle, but I could be wrong.

Welcome back to the Central Coast! Once you get that head gasket fixed, we'll have to hit up Pozo.
    My signature

too bad about the engines.

for head gaskets, i would stick with OEM. may pay a little more but you can be pretty well assured they will be very good.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I would definitely pay for the pretest, so that if you fail on something bad, it won't pop as a gross poluter.

[/quote]

Great advice that I wish I had read about two months ago. I'm now the proud owner of a Gross Polluter. Doing my part to slowly kill Mother Earth according to the state of California.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast