Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to find complete Timing belt/water pump kit?

Re: Where to find complete Timing belt/water pump kit?

IMHO all those kits you linked to should work perfectly fine for the job. The key is to match up the OEM supplier brands and it looked like all the kits did that quite well (few parts in the first 2 kits had non OEM brands but the major parts were correctly matched). Given that the job is fairly involved I would just spend the money on the last kit (below) which has ALL the correct parts and is the most comprehensive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...#ht_1556wt_939
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by fenrisx
    However, not that it's relevant, but a 3VZ-E isn't a 3VZ-FE isn't a 3VZ-E.. lol.
    somewhat correct.. block is the same, but the 3vz-e is the only sohc v6 toyota has ever built :-P so the heads are all wrong
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
    Given that the job is fairly involved I would just spend the money on the last kit (below) which has ALL the correct parts and is the most comprehensive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...#ht_1556wt_939
    Any reason you chose this "kit" over the second kit I orignally posted?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_7592wt_905

From what I can tell the two are EXACTLY the same, except the one I posted is 48 bucks cheaper.
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

Quote Originally Posted by L33T35T Tacoma
    From what I can tell the two are EXACTLY the same, except the one I posted is 48 bucks cheaper.

They aren't exactly the same but they are close.

The kit I linked to has a two major benefits:
    • Idler/tensioner bearings are NSK / Koyo (OEM) - Other kit may have GMB (works, but not as good)
    • Thermostat is Kuzeh (OEM) - Other is Motorad (not OEM, some have had issues with this brand)

Having done the job several times, I can tell you these items are worth the extra $48 IMHO.
    Don't foret to value your labor when looking at parts prices.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Thanks, I didn't catch that. I was just looking at the part numbers. How can stuff with the same part number be made by a different manufacturer? Or are they just listing OEM part numbers?
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

Quote Originally Posted by L33T35T Tacoma
    Thanks, I didn't catch that. I was just looking at the part numbers. How can stuff with the same part number be made by a different manufacturer? Or are they just listing OEM part numbers?
    Short answer is yes, all automakers usually have more than one supplier for a given part. Also just because a vendor references the Toyota P/N doesn't mean it is the actual part you'd get from the dealer (this is where knowing who makes the OEM parts becomes important......as seen above).

my MIL's timing belt fiasco has scared me straight, so I'm going to take care of my over due timing belt before I find myself in the same situation. Is there a reason the kit MTL_Runner listed would fit only a limited 99? Have the SR5 (Cali) and it doesn't come up as compatible...

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Erich_870
    my MIL's timing belt fiasco has scared me straight, so I'm going to take care of my over due timing belt before I find myself in the same situation. Is there a reason the kit MTL_Runner listed would fit only a limited 99? Have the SR5 (Cali) and it doesn't come up as compatible...

Erich
    Erich, the main components of that kit should fit all 5VZ-FE motors in 4runners 1996-2002. The only differences I could see might be the ascessory belts but you could check with the dealer for part numbers on those and make sure you're getting the right sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
    Erich, the main components of that kit should fit all 5VZ-FE motors in 4runners 1996-2002. The only differences I could see might be the ascessory belts but you could check with the dealer for part numbers on those and make sure you're getting the right sizes.
    Looks like they updated their listing and now my rig is included, so I'm ordering it today.

I got my block heater in the mail last week and will order new plug wires and new O2 sensors today as well.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Well, had my new timing belt installed yesterday along with new cats, plugs/wires and I had a block heater installed too.

My mechanic said I got to him just in time!

[img width=599 height=800]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/Erich_870/Toyota%204Runner/2011-03-31115734.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=599]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/Erich_870/Toyota%204Runner/2011-03-31115521.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=600]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/Erich_870/Toyota%204Runner/2011-03-31115541.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=600]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/Erich_870/Toyota%204Runner/2011-03-31115602.jpg[/img]

The regained power with this tune up is awesome to feel!

Erich
    -Erich
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast