Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: welding with batterys for trail repair

welding with batterys for trail repair

Arc Welding with 3 Car Batteries (Tutorial & Demo)

seems putting together a little kit would be pretty easy. i always thought this would hurt batteries but it i guess the load is not really that bad on them

Navigator

Re: welding with batterys for trail repair

iv seen stuff like this, and it looked really sketchy...
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

I've heard of this before, I believe from Roger Brown.

Gotta do what ya gotta do, right? Could you weld a CV axle? lol
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

Quote Originally Posted by L33T35T Tacoma
    Gotta do what ya gotta do, right? Could you weld a CV axle? lol
    No.
    The shafts themselves are cast. Meaning they'd need to be extremely hot before you can even lay a weld on them thats going to stick. Think, preheating with an oven.
    The part that more commonly breaks however, the outside CV joint, is too precise to lay a proper bead inside or outside of the cage. Not to mention, there is too much grease on that joint that it'd take you half an hour to get it cleaned up without spilling anything into the environment. Its just out of the question to "weld" a cv axle back together. They only cost 50-80 dollars and they only take an hour to change.

Troy, I've known about this for a while now, but have never done the research about what type of rods to use. Then, I'd have to store them and a welding helmet somewhere where I already lack space.
    Maybe now that we're frequenting the hammers more often then not, it might be smart to brush up on this technique.

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

I saw this done at the SE4RJ a few years back. Guy broke his hydro steering assist mount off and welded it back on with jumper cables and a couple of batteries. They did use welding rods, but not sure what kind. It worked, and he didn't have any other issues with it.

[img width=800 height=600]http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/DHC6twinotter/Southeast%204Runner%20Jambo%202008/IMG_1822.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=600]http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/DHC6twinotter/Southeast%204Runner%20Jambo%202008/IMG_1825.jpg[/img]

Some guy in a thread over on expo said clothes hangers could be used if you don't have the proper rods. That's just what one person said, so I dunno.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

its deffinatly a shotty welding style but i read its along the lines of 75 amps to melt a typical welding rod. thats hardly anything when distibuted amoung 2-3 batteries. damaging my expensive ultima battery was my biggest concern really. but with the numbers in mind we are much harder on our batteries when using winches in the rocks.

this post has lots of info on putting a kit together.
    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/p...ughts-1084559/

you can buy a kit here for a stupid price
    http://www.dnaoffroad.com.au/product...RC-welding-kit

i think i will try to put something together soon. nothing fancy but just for those times when someone needs it.

I've seen it done a couple of times and know some who carry the supplies. You kind of have to know what you're doing to not mess yourself up or your batteries. Prep is a big portion of the work as well. Might as well have a large enough inverter to run a grinder and carry scrap steel to make proper repairs. I've seen wrenches welded to broken frames and the like. Again they are field repairs and sometimes the only option to get you home. Welding rod is small but you do have to carry different types for different repairs.

If I were to setup anything it would be a weldenator or find a used premier power welder. The weldenator is a second or modified alternator used for stick welding. it's already on board, no worry of removing and potentially over discharging batteries and takes up less space. I only have a saved picture but there is a mod to put a 130 amp alternator in a 3rd gen 4runner and that would most likely be the ticket for our vehicles.

Quick google search

http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/tr...eldenator.html

"weldenators" are all over the internet and think from a cost stand point is the way to go. For now I just carry JB weld and some comfy shoes.

ill have to check that out when i get on some normal internet. whats the costs involved? used alt, brackets, extended belt? welding on your own running truck?

Cost is a part store alt from a truck (80+ amp), simple bracket, some wiring and a control box. The control box basically turns the alt on and off. In the on position it bypasses the regulator to output the full amount of amps at a lower RPM. If I were to do it's I'd buy a cheap alt with a lifetime warranty and return it when it gave up. Once you have that you need some leads (can be homemade), rod, gloves and a helmet.

Using this method you have your own power source independent of the batteries and probably a little safer. I believe the premier systems are similar although some of their models have an inverter incorporated which would be nice for drills and grinders. Welding on your own running vehicles has it's risks but has been done a lot. Watch for sparks and heat, ecu's, ground points and moving parts. Talk other people into making one as well that way you have two. Say you broke and had to fix a motor mount. Having the engine off would make it a little easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast