Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: welding with batterys for trail repair

Re: welding with batterys for trail repair

Here is the swap I mentioned. I thought I had a picture but couldn't find it. Turns out I had emailed myself the link. This is an alternator upgrade. I'm not sure if for a weldenator you HAVE to have a second alt or if you can just isolate the one you have from everything else. If you can get away with one you'd need a larger one like this.

Interesting note: The heated windshield on a Caddy must be serious business if it's powered directly from the alternator. That's my kind of car.

http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144170

hmmm im liking the idea of only one alt. im pretty ignorant on the subject but could you slap a isolated weldinator in your truck on the trail and start/run the truck on your battery? i dont know if that doable or reasonable.

the thing that drew me to battery welding is the low cost and small size for the kit. i already feel i carry too much junk with all my recovery gear, axle, and tools. the alt welding certinly has lots of benifits though...hmmm

Its easy to do, you dont need to clean anything when arc welding either. However you gotta have a clue how to weld and strike an arc-otherwise you weld the rod to the material rather easy.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Troy, I'm not sure I'd want to swap alternators for a repair. I know the frequency of welding repairs is not often but it would be a pain. I think that with a little head scratching you could fit a second alternator in there. If not used for welding it could be used for high output inverter for other tools, etc. I've got a York in my engine compartment and it fits right in after a little relocation of some items. If you've got an auto tranny you've got a little more room than I therefore it might be easier.

Batteries are somewhat easy if you've got a group but it means taking them all out, hooking them up, being careful not to drain them and then putting everything back together. Again because of the frequency it might not be too bad.

Arc welding doesn't need clean surfaces but if you're not great at it having a prepped surface will make a huge difference.

2001 4Runner 3.4V-6 SR5 4x4 Money Pit<br />2008 FJC TT SE 6 SPEED stock

I've seen a certified welder at a local weld shop try this, it's definitely not easy! Definitely practice before it beforehand so you don't have to do it for the first time on the trail!

As for helmets, I've heard of people wearing three or four pairs of sun glasses in a pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by strykersd

As for helmets, I've heard of people wearing three or four pairs of sun glasses in a pinch.
    Unexposed and finished strips of 35mm film roll work also, just stack two of them together..if you have a 35mm camera and not digital.

Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBorn
    Unexposed and finished strips of 35mm film roll work also, just stack two of them together..if you have a 35mm camera and not digital.
    Do they even MAKE 35mm film anymore?
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Hye Krawlers - Welding Trac Bar with Car Batteries

hye crawlers just put out a good video on it

Navigator

nice.. it does look like a good skill to have, and a good reason to keep those tools handy
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12