Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: super light weight sleeping platform ideas?

super light weight sleeping platform ideas?

my platform works fine but i nearly throw my back out each time i put it in there. the other thing i hate is the main bulk of its weight is high in the trucks center of gravity. my platform is 5/8 plywood with minimal sopport struts.

have you ever had or seen a cheapo futon frame or ikea furnature? what wood is that? super dry pine? ash? anyhow it weighs nearly nothing and is fairly strong, not to mention cheap. i might even be able to get the wood from lightweight pallets

my next platform will be lightweight and modular. no more hinges that i never use. it will be two piece with the rear section always in the truck to use as a shelf. the front part will removable and somehow ancher down as not to be a missle in a accident.

Re: super light weight sleeping platform ideas?

Carbon Fiber
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

I'm not sure on the type of wood Ikea uses but I'd make a trip to Home Depot and look around. They have a lot of different types of "trim" wood in different dimensions. I recent bought some wood for a home project and it's poplar. It's pretty dense wood and easy to work with.

As far as the platform I'm wondering about plastic. I used to get displays from an old job and I used that plastic all over the place. Think big banner things that are hung from ceilings of large retail establishments. It was really thick and maybe with enough bracing it could work.

Another idea would be canvas. I'm thinking tons of grommets along the edges and pulled tight with 550 cord kind of like a cot. With a support in the middle you could have 2 "cots" that are light weight and strong enough for you and softer gear on top.

great ideas!

i have been looking all over for plastics that will work. like those bread trays at the super market when they are stocking the shelves. or one way plastic pallets. Trim wood sounds great too. maybe some hybrid wood/plastic/canvas thingy...

and steve if i could get stuff from work id have have the sweetest 10 pound carbon sleeping platform for elephants lol

Those bread trays are a great idea. Costco uses some type of plastic pallet but I haven't checked them out. I love milk crates. You could build a form and fill the form with milk crates and put something on top. Sleeping platform on top and compartment storage on bottom. You would just have to lift the top to access (that would get annoying).

I've always like the idea of an aluminum frame and some sort of plastic inserts. I'm thinking some thin plastic for the sides and something like thick cutting board material for the top. That's my dream platform anyways. I'll have to learn how to weld aluminum.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I've been considering fabricating some kind of composite panel for a sleeping platform, something like 1/2" of foam with 1/8" luan laminated on each side. This should be lightweight and very strong, it's just a bit of a hassle to work with because you have the reinforce all of the attachment points.

- Matt
    2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO

Quote Originally Posted by slomatt
    I've been considering fabricating some kind of composite panel for a sleeping platform, something like 1/2" of foam with 1/8" luan laminated on each side. This should be lightweight and very strong, it's just a bit of a hassle to work with because you have the reinforce all of the attachment points.

- Matt
    what kind of labor and costs are invloved with that? that really sounds ideal.

2 layers of 3/16 luan or 1 layer with AL flatbar as reinforcement, then make the legs out of luan as well.

That stuff can support alot of weight.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I'd like to use something like this: http://www.professionalplastics.com/...ETFORMINGGRADE

$120 for a 48x96 sheet doesn't sounds horrible, but I wonder how strong 1/4" of the stuff is. Anyways, something similar to that is what I'd like to use.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast