Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mother-in-law's Honda Accord died on the road tonight!

Mother-in-law's Honda Accord died on the road tonight!

Hey guys,

My mother-in-law was driving home tonight and her 1996 Honda Accord (4cyl Vtech) died on a bridge, blocking one of the lanes. She said she started to loose power about 2 miles before (she should have pulled over, but what can you do now ), and as she was going up the ramp to the bridge she heard a pretty loud "POP" and the car immediately died. She got it towed to a nearby repair shop and without looking the mech said he thought it is likely the timing belt. He had to run to assist someone with a flat tire, so he's going to look at it tomorrow. Until then, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if her engine is a non-interfacing model. Fingers crossed he can just replace the timing belt and be back in the game. I really hope she didn't toast the engine.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Navigator

Re: Mother-in-law's Honda Accord died on the road tonight!

being a 96, that means she has an F22(A or B?) engine. that is a SOHC 2.2L 4 cyl.. and a quick google search brought up a prelude forum asking this very question, the answer there was
    Yes it is an interference designed engine!
    so i hate to tell you, but if her timing belt snapped, the engine is toast.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Ouch! Well, I guess we'll have to see if it was the timing belt tomorrow. She bought it used a couple years ago, was told the belt was recently replaced (looks like a bold face lie now) and she still owes a bunch on it (~$3000). Worst case I guess we'll have to see if we can find a low mileage engine, or sell it for parts...

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

I could be, and am probably, wrong, but if it was losing power for a couple miles first, I wouldn't say 100% it's the belt. It sounds like maybe very low oil (or a complete loss, or seized oil pump) caused the engine to seize and kick a rod.

Either way, normally when you head a "pop" it's time to start engine shopping.
    s
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

Navigator

Erich, even if it turns out that the belt is the problem, doesnt necessarily mean they lied about changing it.. just means they did a very poor job, and probably either cheaped out and bought pep-boys parts (or didnt replace tensioners and such), or just didnt get everything put together correctly.

but Jason is right, i wouldnt say 100% that it is the timing belt either, but no matter what, a POP is a bad thing to hear (especially when immediately followed by complete shut down).. The good news however, is F22's tend to be fairly cheap and plentiful. If you search around, you might be able to find one for ~$300
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

The mechanic said he could see some damage to the valves, so it's toast...

Time to change gears to find a low mileage engine in Seattle. Anyone have a good place to call? I have her VIN so I can identify the exact engine we need.

Keep the suggestions coming guys!

Thanks,

Erich
    -Erich
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

The same year roughly complete car with 100k on it would cost 1500 or so, engines probably 500 and then labor.. 800 bucks.

Is the car really worth it?
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    The same year roughly complete car with 100k on it would cost 1500 or so, engines probably 500 and then labor.. 800 bucks.

Is the car really worth it?
    The car is NOT worth it, but she bought it used for too much and still owes $3000 so I think her only option is to fix it. No sense in buying a beater for $1000 and still make payments on the car. I'm on Car-Parts.com right now and I've found some engines with under 50,000 miles for $500-800.

This is new territory for all of us involved, so if you guys have any suggestions, I'm all ears! It's really good practice for the day when my '99 needs a new heart though!

Erich
    -Erich
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

she bought it a couple years ago, and still owes 3 grand on a 96 honda? Sounds like she should have done better car shopping. That being said... if you are determined to replace the engine, then so be it, but at this point, unless you have the time, know how and facilities to do it yourself, it may just be better to go car shopping instead.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Erich, looks like you beat me to it. Your post wasn't there when I typed mine. lol.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast