Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Stranger Danger" Beware of Fake Solicitors or "Auditors"

"Stranger Danger" Beware of Fake Solicitors or "Auditors"

So as you all are aware we've had a problem with vehicle theft out here again. What I did not disclose at the time was we're also experiencing daytime break-ins, a couple forced entries, and sadly a friend's house going up in a huge fire. All peaked within the last 3-4 weeks, but has been going on here since just before Thanksgiving 2010.

Then today this happens with me at home..

I just had a lady come to the house offering a "Green Energy Audit..." she was from "So-and-so Company blah-blah-blah we can set up an appointment to check your windows, doors, bill, etc." *I was sitting behind the door monitoring what was being said and stepped into view at that point.

A family member sent her packing, but not after I'd noticed some key errors and red flags. I politely approached her informing her I was a part of our local watch and that she was not accompanied by a partner, nor properly displaying what is required I.D. by law, those being a visible business outfit (obscured by a yellow safety vest) and a photo I.D., as well as a company business card and clipboard. **All cheap clothes. I went to talk to the neighbor to ask him to call P.D. for me but his phone was dead and I placed the call instead. The lady faked like she was going to go one way and when she saw me 4 doors over with the neighbor letting him know what was up, she changed direction and all of a sudden another younger lady and two males made a point to book it past us and get in their vehicle.

Now, if she was gonna get her I.D. as she'd promised me she would've continued on her way doing her job. Instead they all started changing shirts and vests, removing them and got into a Ford Explorer. At this point I got into the car with my neighbor and got the descriptions as well as the plate info.

P.D just visited me and thanked me saying they've had this issue along with the break-ins for two months now. The people in fact even approached one officer at his home (he wasn't in uniform) where his wife initially answered the door and he silently listened. He acted nonchalantly, went to grab a copy of his electrical bill. He sharpied out the bill account info, his phone # and his address. When the person said he'd need the address info it confirmed the officer's suspicion because there the person was in front of him at his doorway, that displayed the address.

He pulled out his bi-fold wallet, smiled as he opened it, and said here's my info, of course..

..in the process the person see's his driver's license..

..as well as his badge.

Watch yourselves and know who it is at your door.

If in doubt get whatever info you are comfortable getting without endangering yourself and call the police immediately.

Worst case, you're wrong and the company get's their act straight, but honestly, companies know what they have to do and the criminals go elsewhere or get caught.

The window, door, entrance, bill bit, they get your private information, a full tour of your home and everything you own, and use a "thermal detector to scan for heat leaks...".

Actually the last part there is often a metal detector where they specifically target the in wall alarm wiring and window and door sensors to find faulty or inactively armed ones to make it that much easier to break in.

Note here, just because an alarm company complains they can't put a sensor on your small bathroom window because of moisture doesn't mean they can skip it. It's the 21st century here people, there are such things as waterproof door sensors.

Watch your homes and family's guys. I'd love to hear similar stories here of this advise working for you and prefer you not to have me say "Told ya so!'.

Re: "Stranger Danger" Beware of Fake Solicitors or "Auditors"

nice work! thanks for the post

we have a security screen door on the front of our house. you cannot see in if it is brighter outside than inside. we never open the door, and always tell them to leave. we have a similar door on the sliding glass door.

typically when we are home, at least one person is armed.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Yea.. I had a guy come by not too long ago selling some grout cleaner..
    He gave me some BS spiel.. acted like he wanted to show me a demo and let him in.. I kindly asked for his business card and said "thanks, have a good day." *door shut*

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

I had a similar incident happen with these annoying "power company" guys who come and ask to check for leaks/problems. Oh they look official to a degree, but if they had any real clue they would know the damn meters outside.

I only had it happen once, but guy was canvassing whole neighborhood. I looked at him, listened to his BS asked for card and he couldnt produce one. Then informed him it was not a wise idea to canvas peoples homes and if he did come back and well lets just say I have a pump action and a shovel handy. Never saw the idiot again.

ALSO: Be wary of people working on your home. Neighbors painter was left to his own vices since they didnt pay attn and left him in the house while they were outside (was summer) and over the course of a few weeks he figured out where the valuables were, came one night when he was canvasing and noticed they werent home, broke in and stole all the jewelery.

I never worry really, burglars will not enter a home with a really yappy dog. The dog attracts to much attention and they book it. Mine barks at the slightest noise and if there is a person at the door even if they dont make a noise she goes nuts. Good luck if you come inside she goes nuts too and even barks at us when we come home.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

@Sean..yeah, I had to smirk afterward when talking w/ P.D. when they asked did I display or infer any possession on my part. Guns locked away and the knife too. Made me think about opening the door Secondhand Lions style next time though.

@Steve..they gave up on that routine 3 years ago when we all were getting our counters refurbished around the neighborhood b/c a family member's business had a promotion.

@Marc..the PowerCompany bit was tried a few times too, funniest report I heard of was the Elderly Chinese Couple cussing out the imposter b/c they just installed the new wireless meters and wanted to know why he'd interrupted their lunch when he could just drive by in the reader truck or download the info at their offices.

The biggest thing for all of this is situational awareness IMHO. Don't expect them to be truthful, even if they are, expect stupidity and errors and spot them and call them on it. Heck, the fact the primary contact in my incident couldn't look me straight in the eye and figeted made me immediately aware she was trying to look past my family member to inventory our front room.

Like the alarm company I.D. and our Bagel (Bassett/Beagle) trying to get past to rip into her wasn't bad enough. That'd be funny if someone tried to get past her b/c I'm the only one aside from the wife who she'll obey the commands from if she doesn't want someone other than family inside the house. P.D. loves that she'll even bark at them if they pull up out front or even get past the sidewalk.

*Most if not all local companies and providers will always send you a referral or offer to request services with your bill a month beforehand. They will never ask questions they should already know the answers to.

Same for technicians offering to inspect your device (Satellite Dish for example) to verify if it is a neighborhood problem..also easily done with a laptop or reader.

I can honestly say I've never had this happen. I also didn't realize just how common things like this are in some areas. I keep a club by the front door for reasons like this.

if you have been having lots of break ins, and stolen cars, ehat Id do, everytime you see someone that doesnt live in the area, call the cops.

most cities have laws against door to door solicating, not sure if yours does, but yea, Id be calling the cops lol
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Yea the power company thing was something else. Truly funny cause we dont have the electronic reader type here yet, but the meter guy ALWAYS is dressed well, has a hardhat, wears ID and his truck has the proper badging on it.

I never really had any issues, mostly what we get here are people soliciting by place fliers in the mailbox or on the door knobs. I know someones here cause before they get within 100 yds of me the dog goes crazy. The bell rings or there is a knock its even worse.

We did have these jehovah witnesses coming around, that I think could make a good scam-but usually its nice looking people not some scruffy looking dude and his girl who look like 10 miles of bad traffic. Then again you never know.

What gets me is people fall for this stuff, the elderly usually are the target b/c they know they can overpower them if need be and sometimes they are quite gullible. One of the main reasons Im happy my mothers parents live in a retirement village-they dont get any of this soliciting BS cause you cant get in as easy.

Just be careful gang, please for your sakes. If you live in Cali I also suggest you install a kill switch in your vehicles, the amount of theft going on there amazes me.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast