Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Rally Mexico To Feature Underground Stage

2011 Rally Mexico To Feature Underground Stage

Swweeett . . . I really wish we had more rally coverage in this country

http://www.ridelust.com/2011-rally-m...rground-stage/

It sounds like something out of a video game: a rally stage where the competition takes place deep underground, through the tunnels of a World Heritage Site. In 2011, the FIA World Rally Championship will make it a reality when they visit Guanajuato, Mexico. The 2011 Rally Mexico will kick off with a special stage run through Guanajuato’s extensive network of tunnels, created by silver mining that took place in the city from the 16th century through the early part of the 20th century. Over the years, some of the mine tunnels have been turned into neighborhoods, complete with residences, shops and museums.

Rally Mexico is the second event on the 2011 calendar, and will start with the underground stage on March 3, followed by a stage through the city’s narrow streets on the following day. Two “super special stages” will follow, held at the area’s Leon Race Circuit on Friday, March 4 and Saturday, March 5. The street stage will also be held on Friday and Saturday, running concurrent with the super special stages. If you always wanted an excuse to visit Mexico, this sounds like a good one to me.
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Navigator

Re: 2011 Rally Mexico To Feature Underground Stage

dude.. that would be so cool to watch!
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

straight out of a video game, I love it!!!!!
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Rad!
    My signature

Awesome! Where can we watch the event?
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter
    Awesome! Where can we watch the event?
    Dan, from the chair right next to mine!

Thanks Keith, saw the hints on my FB page? .. Guess someone understands why we're heading down for our vacation aside from our property taxes. Not sure we'll be able to get a spot at the hotel yet, but likely we are going to try to get a spot spectating, as long as it doesn't involve my exerting my back. I'll try for pictures, but at this point the consulate isn't cooperating with my press-pass paperwork. Mostly b/c I am not able to work in any capacity since my injury they're trying to call b.s. on our trip.

Like we couldn't just take pictures as spectators anyhow, all i wanted was a better spot over the tunnel openings.

Also, Festival's that week, something you shouldn't miss!
    *Note: Chapala is a 4 hour trip by bus from the race, so figure out your own travel stuff beforehand, don't rely on us.

FWIW those tunnels are straight out of the colonial period, no way I'd want to ever do more than 30mph through there..
    All you Subbi fans will wet your pants b/c Ken Block's already registered for it (although in a Ford now) along with one of the people (customer) from GST Motorsports.

Here's Ken in his Ford last year..
    Ken Block's WRC Mexico Test in the Monster World Rally Team Ford Focus RS

That would be AWESOME... and it's right over my birthday. Bummer I'm a broke college student...
    [b] -Bekah <br />.=. It&#39;s not the fall that hurts, it&#39;s that stop at the end .=.

LOL..we've put over $300-ish just into our passports the last month for the 3 of us. Tickets are cheap through Volaris, round trip like $400-ish each. Somebody will fork over for that room soon enough. Too bad Keith n his lady are in Oregon, he could've been offered it if I'd known he was into this stuff sooner and had tickets for us in hand(and they'd be staying in CA for a bit).

Literally I got my ticket finally after my passport got pushed through two days ago.

Here everyone, enjoy..I plan on being as far away as possible from the crowds since I do not want to get shoved or pushed. Might even just watch from the top of a family friend's villa. I'd be having so much more fun intended if I wasn't still hurt. Still no leaks or word from Toyota Global if they are supporting, sponsoring, or contesting it..

..but since this is a Toyota forum, I'll give this video first spot..yes, that's an AWD Corolla!
    Toyota Corolla WRC Action

Enjoy these too..
    Leon Guanajuato Mexico Corona Rally. WRC 2010 Mexico HD
    Ken wrecks it at 2:43..
    WRC 2010 - Rally Mexico Highlights

That looks so awesome. I wish we had more of this stuff on our TVs.

Can spectators watch the race inside the tunnels? I'd hate to be in the tunnel when a car runs into a support pillar.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast