Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Changes: What I've Learned

Re: Oil Changes: What I've Learned

I've only changed it once, but you can get much better access to the filter if you crank the steering wheel all the way to the left. It just opens up that wheel well so you have a straight shot at the filter.
    -Casey-<br />94 4runner 4x4 SOLD<br />99 4runner Limited

Quote Originally Posted by traben27
    I've only changed it once, but you can get much better access to the filter if you crank the steering wheel all the way to the left. It just opens up that wheel well so you have a straight shot at the filter.
    x2. crank wheel over and hand tight has only been a problem for me once in 10-15 changes (on cross-country trip, i didn't double check the filter and it was loose and leaking after 2000 miles). easily remedied by tightening it up again (by hand).
    1996 SR5 4Runner
    3.4 5speed 4x4 165k

On my car it's always a pain to get the filter off... there's been a few times it's come out quite mangled and not exactly cylindrical any more :P I think next time I'm gonna hafta take it to a shop though, I don't really have any place to do it here at school.
    [b] -Bekah <br />.=. It&#39;s not the fall that hurts, it&#39;s that stop at the end .=.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBorn
    That's the same one I use all the time, works well once it gets a grip on the filter

Here's another trick, strategic use of cardboard can prevent a mess
    (pic's not from a Toy, but you get the idea)
    [img width=600 height=800]http://www.personal.psu.edu/gsl126/oc2.JPG[/img]
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

I use oil filter pliers (like the attached pic) because I can crush the filter and get a better grip. Never had a filter I couldn't get off with them but always use a bit of oil on the new oil filter o-ring to create a good seal. I do take the skid plate off when I do the oil and just hose everything off with brake cleaner when I'd done. Any leftover oil just helps for rustproofing in winter.

- Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

here is what i learned:

remove the skid plates. its sooo worth the extra couple of minutes!

pack shop towels on top of the front diff, because the oil filter is going to drain all over it when you spin it off.

put your drain pan on an over turned plastic milk crate. keeps the splatter down to an absolute minimum.

remove the drain plug by hand. keeps the ratchet/wrench clean, and this way you are less likely to drop the plug into the oil.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

i learned to get a fumoto valve. thank god its on there now.

Navigator

i need to get one of those!
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

What's a fumoto valve?
    [b] -Bekah <br />.=. It&#39;s not the fall that hurts, it&#39;s that stop at the end .=.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast