Thread: 3.4L Possible blow by?

3.4L Possible blow by?

Im not quite sure what to make of this, Im sure Ive heard it before too.

Decided to take apart and check my spark plug on the T100 since its running good but Im getting a slight noise like pish pish pish as it runs. Almost like air escaping but Ive found nothing. could be the insert for the plug as it has a VERY slight misfire since I had to repair it that cant be helped. I thought perhaps after the great spark plug debacle this summer (where it blew my #2 plug out of the head) something was wrong, maybe the insert I repaired it with was coming out or something..

I pull off the air intake to gain access to plug and notice its nasty and has some slight oil residue. This summer when i did the plug I also cleaned the butterfly valve on the plenum and it wasnt to dirty either but had oil residue.

Pull off the PCV, its working fine and its clean.

The oil seems to be coming from the tube that goes from the back of the plenum (cant see to well) into the air intake tube behind the butterfly valve.

I knows its not sludge, I had the entire valve cover off the one side this summer and it was CLEAN and the engine only has 80k on it since rebuild by toyota.

Im thinking this is one of those things where if I had an oil catch it would be collecting it. There wasnt a considerable amount either.

Thoughts?
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Re: 3.4L Possible blow by?

anyone?

Any pics? A certain amount of oil vapor floating around the crankcase and getting sucked into the intake via PCV is normal. I've even seen some engines develop small "puddles" of oil in the low lying areas of the intake - take the car out and to it through its paces to clean out the engine, and the puddles get sucked away and are gone. Unless you see bluish smoke from the tailpipe on accel, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

I already cleaned it up so no pics sadly. It just baffled me, no smoke or anything tho.

I dont think Ill worry about it unless something goes wrong.