Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim's (It'll Buff Out) Re-Build

Jim's (It'll Buff Out) Re-Build

Many of you know that I rolled my truck at Superstition Mtn (youtube: Superstition Mtn Rollover), and somehow walked away from it. The truck took a real beating, and I debated whether to part it out or total it. Anyway, the insurance totalled it, and send me a few bucks, less enough to keep it under a salvage title. Fortunately, I've been getting good advice from you guys, and a couple of local shops. Jay and Eric @ YotaMasters in Corona, and my buddy Steve, who owns Left Turn Racing in Lake Elsinore. Steve has an auto repair biz, and builds Sprint Cars as well. Steve got me a deal on new hood, fenders, grill, and fixed my radiator. This will be a 'slow' build thread since work has me tied up about 60 hours a week. With luck these pics will post up, and you'll see before, after the crash, and the rebuild attempt.

'89 Flatbed with detroits and 4 tires

Re: Jim's (It'll Buff Out) Re-Build

Here's the triple flip roll aftermath.

Amazingly, the truck ran after the flips/rolls, though the hood came in on the radiator, so we needed a tow back to camp. Fortunately, I had borrowed a motorhome and a trailer(I have great friends), so I could get the rig home. This 1st pic is back at my shop/driveway, where I had to straighten out the roof and strip out all the shattered glass. The high lift jack is a great tool. Besides using it as a lift, or winch, you can straighten body parts with it, as well.

Here's after jacking. One of the hardest jobs, was getting the glass out of the window frame. Then a half hour with the shop vac, sucking glass, sand and rock, out of the cab, and from under the hood.

I see a cab swap and roll cage in your future.

I'll keep the cab. My buddy, Steve, will help me weld on a new cab top. I've got a lot of experience welding, but have never done a sheet metal job that big. Plus, a cab/top is a two man deal anyway. And, yes there will be a cage. Actually a half exo, over the cab. This pic shows where I plan to mount the front tubes. Gonna weld right onto the A pillar junction. Also gonna build a top tube (not quite a stinger) onto the bumper, and maybe some light covers. I have spent many hours straightening the rad crossmember, and the fender head light area sheet metal. So, this time I want armor to cover the hood and light area.

Here I had to make some tools to bend metal back into place.

This guy is coming out. It's always worked well, but since everything is apart, I ordered a SPAL electric fan, and a Derale thermal switch.

Also, gonna pull the AC, and remount the PS pump cooler.

Here's the radiator back in...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast