Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 80 Series LC Rims

80 Series LC Rims

Made a road trip up to Logan tonight to pick up a set of 80 series rims. The owner had boughten a spare 80 series that he's slowing parting out to use on his other 80 or selling parts at random. The rims came up the other day for sale and I decided what the hay I'll go for it. So tonight these are sitting in my apartment:

Rim 1 (this was the spare):

Rim 2

Rim 3

Rim 4

Rim 5 (this is the worst of them, pitted and missing a small chunk of metal near the weight)

So right now I'm debating to just clean them up the best I can then go ahead and have them mounted when I get my new tires put on or have them sand blasted then powder coated. The crappiest of the rims may just get used as a spare or I may not do anything with it.

All the tires are 245/75/16 except the spare which is a 265/75/16, three of the tires I plan on keeping and selling (may keep the tire that's on the spare and use that as my spare tire). The other two tires will be trashed, one has a rip in the sidewall.

I need to pcik up a set of center caps since they were MIA. Will the lug nuts off my 4runner work with these rims?

Poll:
    Clean them up and mount them as is
    Sandblast and then powder coat (gun metal color, need suggestions on this one if I go this route)

This is one of those what am i thinking moments.
    2000 Toyota 4runner with some goodies.

Navigator

Re: 80 Series LC Rims

just a note, dont powdercoat aluminum rims... it'll make them brittle. its better to just paint em. otherwise looks like a good find
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Crinale
    just a note, dont powdercoat aluminum rims... it'll make them brittle.....
    Did not know that.

If you're using the stock lugs from your 4runner, then yes, they will work.

Side note: Where are you at in Utah?
    -Casey-<br />94 4runner 4x4 SOLD<br />99 4runner Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Crinale
    just a note, dont powdercoat aluminum rims... it'll make them brittle. its better to just paint em. otherwise looks like a good find
    Was that because of the heat treating to cure the powedercoat?

If so, then it depends on the temperature and time used in the process. Most wheels from OEM's now do come powdercoated. The key is to use a low temperature process (325 degrees or less) and the curing process should not go longer than half an hour. Beyond that you should be fine powdercoating rims too if you so desire.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by traben27

Side note: Where are you at in Utah?
    Bountiful

Navigator

im not positive, and im not a material science guy. its just what i have heard. the upside to just spraying your rims, is when you scuff them up off road (and you WILL scuff them if ur more than a mall-crawler) all you need to do is respray. if u mess up a powdercoat, thats $$ to fix
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ttora4runner
    Bountiful
    Hmm, I'm down in Provo. We should meet up sometime and run some trails (although snow can be a problem). I haven't been able to do much since I got the 3rd gen, but I did head out near 5 mile pass last week and just check out the area a little.

Back on topic, I agree on the spraying them vs powder coating. Once they're scuffed, spray paint will just look crappy if you try and cover it up.

Edit: I meant spray paint over the powder coating versus re-spray painting a spray painted wheel already.
    -Casey-<br />94 4runner 4x4 SOLD<br />99 4runner Limited

steves rims are rattle caned and i think they look nice

Got the tires and rims separated tonight and the got they rims cleaned up some. They look better but will need to sandblasted/sanded down and refinished.

Quote Originally Posted by traben27

Hmm, I'm down in Provo. We should meet up sometime and run some trails (although snow can be a problem). I haven't been able to do much since I got the 3rd gen, but I did head out near 5 mile pass last week and just check out the area a little.
    I'm thinking of heading out there this weekend and hitting up Rattlesnake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast