Thread: Steering stop replacement - front creak / squeak

Steering stop replacement - front creak / squeak

So I finally got tired or putting grease on the front steering stops every other month and picked up a set of these steering stop caps off of ebay.
    Total was ~$25 with shipping, but now I can forget about ever having to worry about that damn noise from the front with the wheel at full lock.

This is what I got a few days after placing my order:

It even had instructions on the inside of the flap

install took ~5 minutes with a few gentle taps of a hammer, these are NOT going to come off on their own

*note* the kit says it's for '89-95, but all IFS 4WD Toyotas from '86-'95 should be able to use these, mine is an '88
    If you own a 1989 through 1995 Toyota 4x4 pickup (...and maybe even a 2-wheel drive, please check picture above to confirm you have the same style of suspension) or ‘89-95 Toyota 4Runner, or any model of T-100 pickup, you probably have heard the metal on metal creeking noise when you have turned the wheel all the way to one side to the other. This is probably because the cheap plastic bushings on the steering stops are weak flimsy plastic and have worn or broken off and now you have metal on metal rubbing (the metal on metal grinding sound is god-awful).... So I bought four stock new ones from the Toyota dealership (at the time they were ~$4 each for a total of $16... Now they are $7.64 each at the Pueblo Dealership) only to have them break off/wear through within less than a month! So I decided to make my own…I have had a set on my pickup for about 3-4 years now and no more creaking!

To install:

1) I recommend that you grind down or smooth out any rough edges on the curved metal surface (car side) that the steering stop bolt (wheel side) comes in contact with (this will help prolong the life of any plastic steering stop). If it is smooth, don't worry about this step. Remove any or all of the old plastic bushing on the steering stop bolt.

2) Secondly, turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and install the stop on the Front-Left and Rear-Right bolt. Use more medium hammer strokes rather than fewer heavy strokes. The stops have a recessed area (unlike OEM parts) to lock the stop in place. Then turn the wheel all the way to the right and install the stop on the Front-Right and Rear-Left bolt

NOTE: Because these stops are slightly larger than stock they might increase the turning radius slightly... but not too much. OEM is about 1/16" thick, these are about 1/4" thick. Compare this to the gap distance between the stop and metal plate...it is negligiable.

Also NOTE: If you do happen to wear through the stop, simply take some pliers and rotate the stop to a new, non-worn area, on all four bolts.
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Navigator

Re: Steering stop replacement - front creak / squeak

nice find! i may save this for later..
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Nice find!
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Searchable Term Addition for this since I've had to search them twice for people wanting the factory pieces..

Old #'s were 45619A/B or 45619-36010 and the new #'s are 51631-35040 .

Welp think Im gonna have to buy these sooner than later, the popping is quite loud lol..

After you put them on you'll wonder why you didn't just spring for them sooner. I haven't had to crawl under the front for over a year to grease the steering stops and definitely don't miss the noise
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Mines so bad that I can make it happen when I turn hard, especially backing up or going over bumps.