Thread: Soaking wood chips?

Soaking wood chips?

I was on a job awhile ago and all the floors except for the bedrooms were oak floors. They were installed unfinished and then they had a guy come in and handscrape them and then stain/seal them. Needless to say, there was a bunch of oak shavings from that. I know the owner and the floor guy took a bunch, but my helper and I each snagged a small garbage bag full for ourselves.

My plan was to soak them in beer/wine/whiskey etc.. and then use them for smoking/bbqing. Has anyone tried this before? I'm thinking of soaking half in wine and half in beer. After they are soaked, do you need to store them a certain way or anything? I may even see if I can find my dad's old smoker and make some jerky.

If anyone has any ideas or experience please post up! I'm also interested in how to use them while just bbqing on a gas grill...
    My signature

Re: Soaking wood chips?

every time we bbq, we smoke with wood chips. either mesquite or hickory.

we soak them for a day before we use them. if you soak them for a future use, i would drain them and seal them in an air tight container, but you still run the risk of mold or mildew.

ive soaked them in jack before, worked well.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: Soaking wood chips?

I would just soak them right before (up to a day, like sean says) and then drink the rest of the beer.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.