Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Bought: 2000 Land Cruiser

Re: Bought: 2000 Land Cruiser

Especially since I only had 6/32" of tread left on the old ones, so new tires were coming up in less than 10,000 miles anyway... As much as I'm driving it now, that would be about 4-months.

Just got some pics in from Don at Dallas Custom Steering Wheel of my completed rebuild. 2-days as promised and my wheel is ready to ship. I will have it in-hand by Monday.

Only problem that I see is that this is an 02+ wheel. I guess I'll find out first-hand if these fit OK in the 98-01 cruisers....

[img width=800 height=600]http://www.4rnr.net/cruiser/DCSW-8.jpg[/img]

$269 for the recover
    +$30 for the custom stitching (instead of baseball-type stitch)
    +$30 for the extra padding
    +$17 to ship it to me

$346 total for the work

+$75 core charge on top of that (paid $421, getting this part back)

Having a nice, plush, NEW feel to the only part of the vehicle that you actually touch with your bare skin = PRICELESS.

You will have to take my word for it until you FEEL the difference for yourself, but when I replaced the worn leather on my old 4Runner with a new kit, the feel of the entire truck changed. It was thicker, so it made the wheel feel better in my baseball-mit hands. It had a cushioned feel and added grain instead of the slick japanese leather feel of the OEM skin. It really did make driving the truck go from OK, to actually being more enjoyable. I would get in the truck after driving my acura for a few days and as soon as I'd grab the wheel, I would think to myself how much better that one felt than the one in the Acura. It really does make a difference since it really is the only piece of the entire vehicle that you have to constantly contact/feel with bare skin while driving.
    -andy

That's some nice work. I'd love to see how it's done. I agree with you about the steering wheel and feel. For me the shape and style of the 4runner wheel is fine but the feel leaves a little to be desired. Our Subaru wheel feels much better but I don't like the shape as much as the 4runner.

Here's what I have learned so far:
    • There are no good "kits" out there in my opinion to refurbish an OEM wheel. Only options are....
    • Wheelskinz @ $40 and "OK" fit/finish
    • Take your chances with the guy in South FL @ $150 and HOPE you get what you pay for...
    • Get your OEM wheel professionally recovered (or buy one that has been professionally recovered) for $275-$400 <-- BEST OPTION.

• If you can tolerate down-time, then you have options. If you cannot, then you have 2...
    • OPTION 1: The Pre-Re-Covered OEM Wheels that Shane (AATLAS1X on IH8MUD) offers for $400 is a good buy IF YOU WANT 100% OEM MATCH because you have zero down time, what appears to be VERY good quality, and he is a supporting vendor here. However, the downside is lack of customization...
    • OPTION 2: Pay a Quality Shop who specializes in this work to recover your wheel to your specifications.
    • Don @ Dallas Custom Steering Wheel is a STAND UP guy who has excellent customer service.
    • Don gives you the most options for "customization" available and provides excellent work at very good prices.
    • If you send your wheel to Don, YOU NEED TO SOURCE YOUR OWN "LOANER" before sending your wheel to him.

Pics from today...

-andy

The power locks went nuts recently, which coincided with the CEL. They will unlock themselves at random intervals, with the driver side doing it 90% of the time, and if it does it twice, then all locks follow on the second hit.

I wasn't sure if it was the faulty ECU causing it or not, so I pulled the ECU fuse and it still did it. At that point I knew I was going to have to dig in. First place to start was the door lock on the driver side.

I pulled the door panel off and found this little guy laying in the bottom of the door cavity all alone....

Here's where it's supposed to be, on the lock cylinder:

Close-up:

Easy fix with a Zip Tie after you get it out:

Here's how you remove the cylinder:

And here's how you have to put it back in since the clip/sensor blocks one of the bolt heads.

Now everything's back to working like it should!
    -andy

nice work man

I like the custom cover too, nice touch with the red stitching.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby
    Hurry up and finish this one so you can sell it to me.
    I was just kidding...
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

Come 'n get it!

Progress pics. Hoop is finished and welded on. Going to be sand blasted and PC'd tomorrow before heading to it's new owner next week!

Pics:

And here it is with the "dishes" from the Hella Rallye 2000's.

-andy

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345