Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bought: 2000 Land Cruiser

Re: Bought: 2000 Land Cruiser

OH yeah, well I can get 32 in my wife's convertible solara...
    -andy

i am very pleased with my 4r's gas mileage. i drive it like a grandpa and it gets 18.5 consistently in the city, and about 22 highway.

im not sure how the epa ratings are somewhat lower
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

wheels and tires go on today.

Yesterday, I stripped off the Flares and cleaned up all the mess that the fender gasket adhesieve made. Uffff...

The bad news is that I found body damage (dents) on both rear panels from the damn flares pushing into the body by exterior contact. Nice - adding more to the "to-do" list.

This morning, I cranked the torsion bars to raise the front just over an inch. It had over 2" of rake. I got it back to 1", and may go just a hair higher after the new tires are on.

Next up : Running board removal...
    -andy

tires and wheels on... MUCH BETTER.

-andy

Looks nice!
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

thanks.

next is either a custom aluminum or steel bumper or possibly painting the OEM tupperware so that it's all black. i haven't decided if i want to paint first, or wait on the bumper before painting.

i'm also going to make some step sliders in the near future. i may just let my local fab shop make them (the guys that are going to make the bumper for me).

i've already swapped out the door speakers for some Polk DB's and ditched the stock sub for a DVC 12 - all powered by a 6-channel alpine amp.

i have a set of 100-Watt Hella Rallye 2000's sitting in the garage - think 9"+ dinner platters.... if it looks like it's going to be a while before they can get to the bumper, then i may fab up something with my 110 machine to mount them temporarily while i test my patients. we'll see...

so far, these tires are VERY quiet on the road - almost as quiet as the worn out Michelins. this was the first set the guys at the shop said they have seen and they were all drooling over them. they said they were very true and balanced out very well with very little wieght - which shows with the smooth ride on the road. i'm getting an alignment tomorrow, since i jacked the front up over an inch and threw the caster/camber all to hell.

-andy

got the front bumper built, fogs and driving lights in place, and now I've just been dragging around on getting it powder coated.

thread of the bumper build is here

Last week, I painted all the gray trim and rear bumper to match the truck.

Getting there....

compared to...

-andy

Bumper progress pics from the blackberry...

7018 stick = stacked dimes on the frame bracket (not me laying the bead though...)

fitting things up...

getting there. just a little more wing trimming...

some 6010 stick on the 1/8" plate on the insides:

more 7018 stacked dimes- this is on the outside where the 1/8" sheet meets the 3/8" plate.

7018 on the winch plate - not a high-stress piece, just for placement.

final shop fitting...

profile:

i'm really pleased w/ how the lines turned out.

didn't get a chance for any decent pics, but here's a couple more w/ the HELLA 2000's on it...

-andy

Now I just took a step backwards...

It's time to get the front bumper powder coated. That means it has to come off for at least a week, probably more. I went ahead and took it off and put the stock plastic back on, then sprayed it to match as a temp fix. Painted the grill black and the T emblem with some Hammered Gray - not sure I'm going to leave the emblem painted though...

-andy

Next up: Electric Cooling Fan with Variable Speed Controller.

I'm mounting a Ford V8 19" Electric Radiator Fan inside the UZJ OEM Shroud, similar to an install I did on my 99 4Runner back in 2005. I will be using a 50-amp Variable Speed Fan Controller made by Delta Current Control.

From the 4Runner install:

The idea is to get rid of the mechanical fan, install the electric fan into the OEM shroud, and let the VSC control the fan speed based on the cooling duty that is required to maintain a constant radiator temperature. I had it installed in the 4Runner for two years before selling it and was very pleased with the added performance gain, quiet engine, and how well the controller ramped fan speed up and down as needed instead of the constant whirrrr of the mechanical fan. The zeihl-abegg type blade design of these fans are not only more efficient, but MUCH more quiet than the OEM design.
    -andy

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast