Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some input on starter contacts

Need some input on starter contacts

I had some 4runner fun on the way home from work. My 4runner was parked outside all day where it was wet and cold. When I got in and started it to drive home the engine seemed to idle rough and it made a weird squealing sound. I ended up driving about a quarter of a mile and stopped at a gas station to see what the sound was from, after I stopped the engine I could hear the starter running continuously. Removing the key from the ignition had no effect and neither did attempting to start the car. In fact, I put it in gear and let out the clutch and was able to drive forward on "starter power". While I had the hood up and was trying to pull the starter relay in the dark it finally stopped running on its own, and hasn't acted up since.

My assumption is that the solenoid contacts are worn and locked the starter in the engaged position. The squealing noise was either grinding the ring gear (hopefully not) or the starter complaining since it was being driving by the engine.

So, two questions:

1. Does this theory make sense?
    2. How much damage do you think I did to the ring gear?

Now the hunt for contacts begins so I can drive to Tahoe on Sunday.

Thanks for your input.

- Matt
    2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO

Navigator

Re: Need some input on starter contacts

doesnt sound like contacts to me.. usually if the contacts are bad the starter wont turn the engine over at all, and if your starter had enough torque to move the truck, the contacts are likely fine. I would check the relay, and the power connection to the battery.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Hard to tell if it is starter contacts or not but at the very least I'd pull the starter and have it rebuilt at an auto electric shop near you. They will replace all the wear items to where the starter will function like new again (but alot cheaper than a new one!) While the starter is out you can also check the flywheel for damage but if the truck still starts, I'd say you were fine on that side. Do get that starter rebuilt to ensure it doesn't happen agaian though.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

I would check the flywheel if you have a chance. We had an old 4runner that cracked a few teeth off of the flywheel gear and it would start 8 out of 10 times, but if the flywheel stopped spinning in that one spot where there were no teeth, the starter had nothing to engage, and it just wouldn't start. It was a PITA to diagnose and to fix.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Roger Brown sells contacts if you can't find them at a dealer.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Matt, I have a write up here with part numbers for the contacts. After you remove the starter take a peek at the gear and see if it's bad. Ken had to do his contacts and after replacing them his starter would stick like you mentioned.

Had you had symptoms of worn starter contacts prior to this event?

Thanks for everyone's input.

Mike, how did Ken eventually get his not to stick? This is the first time I've had any issues with the starter on the 4runner, so I was pretty surprised. I have seen some other posts where people had a similar issue and they thought the plunger was getting stuck on the contacts.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ad.php?t=49294

Of course none of my local dealers have the contacts in stock, and I'm driving the truck up to go skiing tomorrow. My hope is that it is just starting to go bad and will be fine tomorrow, I'll bring a hammer and a pipe so I can hit the starter and try to knock the solenoid loose if it happens again. I'll definitely be ordering some new contacts, or else drive down to Roger's place and pick some up.

Great writeup by the way, thanks.
    http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...6&topic=6151.0

- Matt

2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO

Ken ended up buying a new starter from the dealer. It was right after he got out of the hospital and moved into his house so he was a little busy and a new starter was easier.

If you're considering getting one from a dealer at all, as I mentioned earlier it's definately worth getting a quote from an auto-electric shop for rebuilding it instead. I've had both my alternator and my starter rebuilt and they did an excellent job each time (remember that's all those guys do all day everyday). It also came out alot cheaper and with minimal effort. To me, if you're going to put in the time to R&R the starter, you might as well make sure you won't need to touch it again for a very long time.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    Ken ended up buying a new starter from the dealer. It was right after he got out of the hospital and moved into his house so he was a little busy and a new starter was easier.
    Yup. I replaced the contacts but for whatever reason it didn't fix the problem. The plunger showed some wear too but not enough to be the root of the problem. After replacing the contacts I had two occasions where the starter kept running for a few seconds after turning off the key. Like Mike said, at the time I was in no shape to keep messing with it so I bought a remanufactured starter from Toyota and took the opportunity to upgrade from the 1.6 kw to the 1.8kw. It is physically larger and costs no more. I paid somewhere in the low-hundred range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast